Xsb-1 650 Retard - new headlight project

Hey Mr. GLJ,

Its the original glass headlight casting. That does not change.

But... I had a funny thing happen today, i reached for the petcock with my RH today while riding and I and got a shock. Felt like a 12V shock. I have to inspect my install closely for some kind of short. I like my solution too, but there may be an electrical isolation issue I didn't take care of.

Not sure if mentioned but a couple of things to consider

--> Spare fuses along for riding
--> Battery charger .. I bought one within weeks after buying the bike long before they Were " Smart " and have used it. many times.
---> Perhaps measure if there is current going out ignition off and then disconnect battery

An electrical problem can be difficult to find if there is one.

Thanks for the remarks Jan. As an almost daily rider the bike should stay good - shouldn't it?. Couldn't a charger actually cover up problems and give one a false sense of security with a leaking electrical issue? Your third remark is over my head.

And I agree that he problem can be difficult. I have to be careful of misdiagnosees and going down the wrong rabbit hole, whatever I do.
Thank God these are the biggest problems in my life right now!

Thanks for the remarks Jan. As an almost daily rider the bike should stay good - shouldn't it?. Couldn't a charger actually cover up problems and give one a false sense of security with a leaking electrical issue? Your third remark is over my head.

And I agree that he problem can be difficult. I have to be careful of misdiagnosees and going down the wrong rabbit hole, whatever I do.
Thank God these are the biggest problems in my life right now!

Yes Sir a well kept Bike should not blow fuses but being an old bike it can happen and they are not expensive
Saving a walk home or towing. I have pushed bikes in leather gear along the roadside .In the scorching sun.

Say for instance the fuse blows hitting the high beam --with a spare fuse under the saddle You get home if not hitting the high beam.

The charger can save the day should the battery go empty again at the garage.
Many owners have a smart trickle charger ( Not sure about the English word ) connected at all times .Not letting the voltage drop on the battery it can hurt them at least for the older types..
Lets get back to the leak current later If needed.

Feel free to disregard ..

Hey Mr. GLJ,

Its the original glass headlight casting. That does not change.

But... I had a funny thing happen today, i reached for the petcock with my RH today while riding and I and got a shock. Felt like a 12V shock. I have to inspect my install closely for some kind of short. I like my solution too, but there may be an electrical isolation issue I didn't take care of.
I should have myself clearer. My fix looses the the left/right adjustment yours does not.

Thinking about that fix and only time will tell but those Halogen bulbs are probably much hotter than the filament original..
I’m interested in how the heat dissipation will work.

Now you can just swap in an LED bulb👍
That would take care of that question.

Hmm you might want to check the wattage of those automotive bulbs. Motorcycle bulbs are lower wattage cuz well, our alternators aren't exactly overly strong. Which brings up how popular it is to mount a digital voltmeter where you can see it while riding. ;/)

1648478775115.png
If you can stand on your head it says 12V 40/50. Does 5 watts matter? For example the battery is supposed to be 12 volts and its 12.6 or more. Whats a few watts?

Back