Yet another noobie wiring question

timbeck

HARDLY A GURU
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all---I have a 79 street tracker---The PO did some mods but I installed a Pamco and am now installing a Banshee PMA---All seams to be going well but I need to know what I hook up to the Brown wire that came from the old Reg. ---I have looked at many of the wiring diagrams but am totally confused---I know you guys have helped a lot of others I'm hoping you can help me ---thanks tim

Nothing tells me where to put the Brown wire that orig. came out of the "old" regulator---Do I cap it off???? Do I splice it to Pos.??? Do I splice it to Neg,????

Do you have a combined regulator/rectifier? If yours is separate I really don't how to wire it up. Read several of those wiring diagrams and I'm sure you'll figure it out.

I just re-read your first post and I see that you are using the banshee set up. I have no idea how to wire that up. Sorry, I'm sure someone here can help you out.

What regulator are you using? On a pma setup it is usually just ground, battery and sometimes a voltage sensing wire. Get a wiring diagram and see where the brown wire went before and all should become clear.

Hello all---I have a 79 street tracker---The PO did some mods but I installed a Pamco and am now installing a Banshee PMA---All seams to be going well but I need to know what I hook up to the Brown wire that came from the old Reg. ---I have looked at many of the wiring diagrams but am totally confused---I know you guys have helped a lot of others I'm hoping you can help me ---thanks tim

I am using a regulator from Punkskalar and that plugs into the stator fine---This involves the Brown wire from the old "removed" regulator ---After removing the old reg. I am left with a Brown wire that goes forward into the loom---I need to know what do I attach to the Brown wire??? Pos??? Neg??? Cap off??? Gasoline???? HELP

Toss that stock regulator in the trash, you don't use it at all.... For the PMA, use the 3 yellows from the stator - connect those to the 3 wires from the regulator... Then you are left with a red and a green. Take the red from the regulator and hook it to the battery (+) and green goes to ground on the battery or frame...

Cut that brown wire short and cap it off... it was a "Signal" wire to turn on the old system, you don't use it on the new setup.... At least I "think" that is what it was for, I usually toss the stock wiring harness in the trash immediately on an XS and build a new one from scratch...

PERFECT !!! thank you, Hugh --- I am keeping most of the wiring from the PO because of the flashers etc. ---thanks again, this board is even better than the BritBike dudes---

All is well---I got the Banshee PMA installed, got the wiring straightened out, the bike started, the lights,horn,directionals work---all is right with the world---I am Stoked, going for a ride---thanks again tim

Back