A prudent question before getting a big hammer out...

Shakey

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
rebuilding the engine on my 73 SE (project http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12980) and installed the gear selector shaft last night (on UK time here). The tangs of the sprung arm are not equidistant from the 'star', so the manual recommends adjusting it using the eccentric adjuster that also serves as a boss for the shaft spring. I finally managed to get a socket to the locknut (by sliding the shaft back a couple of inches - haven't fitted the circlip yet), but the slotted adjuster itself seems rock solid.
Is the adjuster threaded, if so is it a standard right hand thread? I'm guessing it's probably loctited in there, but how do I actually move it to centre the gear selector arm?:shrug:

The eccentric turns hard, it doesn't really break loose. Use a wrench on a hex shaft screwdriver to move it.

Got it! Loosened the locknut with the shaft knocked back through to give clearance; tapped the shaft back home and adjusted the eccentric adjuster with the shaft in situ (essential to line it up accurately); then knocked the shaft back out of the way to get a socket on the locknut and bend the tabs in place; finally pushed the shaft home and inserted the e-clip. I just hope the new shaft oil seal will have coped with all the to-and-fro. I greased it well so let's hope so.
Thanks for the help guys:thumbsup:

Back