If a new company broke into the market?

I don't wish to put a downer on this enterprise but at the end of the day its going to be a business and it needs to make a profit so items that are labour intensive like tanks are unlikely to provide much turnover because they are expensive and time consuming to produce, Lots of different patterns and sizes ,expensive to pack and ship and not a huge demand item that is likely to sell in hundreds a year.

To provide cash flow to sustain the business it will need to stock products that are required regularly by every XS650 owner as maintenance /repair/restoration items or accessories that are cheap to produce cheap to buy and likely to sell in many hundreds all year round like for example. Aluminium pegs, sump oil filters, clear alternator covers,brake upgrade parts bars, Seat covers, Aluminium rims ,gaskets, seals etc

To be able to compete in todays market the stuff would have to made or sourced in China or the costs would be prohibitive on most items.

The way to success would probably be to become a one stop shop for all things Yamaha like yambits , heiden Tuning , Mikesxs etc and even then it would be a struggle in todays financial climate. Otherwise it would just be another garden shed enterprise

Actually tanks shouldnt be to bad as once we build a few prototype we will just build a die and punch tank halves and then TIG them up.

Just a little update:
Just talked to my boss and I have been given the green light on this. I still have a bit more to get done on my strip down of my bike then I will be getting into the shop and build my frame jig and engine mount locations jig so I dont have to have a motor in the frame during fab. I will keep this post going along with a link to a build thread once I get started.

Thanks everyone for the comments and I will keep everything updated as I progress along.

Don't know how well this would work, but if you build your tank in two halves like you said, but split it around the equator, so to speak with a top and bottom half rather than two sides, I wonder if you could build several different bottom designs for different models of bike (eg. xs400, xs650, etc.) that all weld to the same top half. That way you can appeal to more markets without making completely different tooling for each one. Just a thought.

Here is an easy one. Make up an affordable sump extension for a small but significant increase in oil capacity and cooling. A sump extension should help with the tearing sump screen problem too. I think it would be easy and quick to design and build. There may be a market for these. I know I've thought of one.

Tom

I don't wish to put a downer on this enterprise but at the end of the day its going to be a business and it needs to make a profit so items that are labour intensive like tanks are unlikely to provide much turnover because they are expensive and time consuming to produce, Lots of different patterns and sizes ,expensive to pack and ship and not a huge demand item that is likely to sell in hundreds a year.

To provide cash flow to sustain the business it will need to stock products that are required regularly by every XS650 owner as maintenance /repair/restoration items or accessories that are cheap to produce cheap to buy and likely to sell in many hundreds all year round like for example. Aluminium pegs, sump oil filters, clear alternator covers,brake upgrade parts bars, Seat covers, Aluminium rims ,gaskets, seals etc

To be able to compete in todays market the stuff would have to made or sourced in China or the costs would be prohibitive on most items.

The way to success would probably be to become a one stop shop for all things Yamaha like yambits , heiden Tuning , Mikesxs etc and even then it would be a struggle in todays financial climate. Otherwise it would just be another garden shed enterprise

:thumbsup: Cheaper NON-chinese repro's :wink2:.... Not to mention the vast clientel of the interweb anxiously waiting on their parts, have a tendency to repremand the "company" for material quality, availability and production out of their control...... Possible (chinese) language barrier:shrug::D

Tom I will look into the sump extension also the cover doesnt look like it would be to hard to copy and then mill out the inside. How much of a drop would you like to see? Im at work right now so I cant go measure to see how much room there is.

On the sump extension idea, it would be beneficial to give it a finned or fluted surface to create more cooling surface area. Mine will live in Texas (eventually!) and heat is a concern, since I do not believe in such a thing as "too hot to ride"

Found this thread and thought it might be relevant.

Also, I've seen some people replace the front engine mount because it is "ugly." A sleek, direct bolt-on replacement might be popular if the price was right.

I know its not actually my business but I am the one that will be running this department and I will not put out a product that I wouldn't run on my bike quality wise. I have bought a lot of different things for my daily rider and the one thing I hate the most if feeling like I wasted my money on something that I bought for my bike. I will be building my frame jig next week hopefully and taking my 74 in once the jig is ready to go.

tigman sells front engine mounts. http://deltfabrication.webs.com/

full

full

Found this thread and thought it might be relevant.

Also, I've seen some people replace the front engine mount because it is "ugly." A sleek, direct bolt-on replacement might be popular if the price was right.

Might be something to consider, but possibly look at parts for the XS400. Not quite as popular as the 650 but defintely lacking in aftermarket support. Theres really nothing out there as far as hardtails, brat kits, etc. It might be worthwhile to look into making parts specific to both since youll have the facility and you would just need a donor bike for mock up etc.

I was thinking about building a jig that would fit into/over a stripped BS38 carb body and allow you to precision bore and bush the worn throttle shaft hole. Once you build the jig that builds the jig, you could pop these onto the market easily...

Seems about time someone started selling 21" front wheel kits with correct spokes and rims for stock hubs. Also seems about time for a 19" kit for the rear with the correct spojes and rims for stock drum hubs... bet these would be sell very well if they were more affordable than the alternatives.

Back