I'm considering a permanet magnet alternator for my '81 Special.
Has anyone had experience or direct knowledge about this product

http://www.xscharge.com/#!

We offer the most complete kit at the best price on the market at only $289.00. Our parts are specifically built to our specifications. Our adapter bracket is hands down the easiest to use and best bracket available. We have the strongest rotor on the market to help with low RPM charging. The rotor hub is made to our specs with the correct keyway so there is no filing or guess work in getting the correct fit to the crankshaft. We have a plug and play voltage regulator with a battery side quick disconnect. The kit also includes a laser cut voltage regulator mounting bracket that bolts to the rear upper motor mount bolts. Everything you need including all new hardware and step by step instructions is included in the kit. Just click on the tab marked "OUR STUFF" to purchase this kit.
Lookin for advice from guys wiser than me about this stuff...THANKS!!!

Read more about Hughe's Handbuilt. About twenty dollars more but free shipping and it is a superior system. Much support.

Last edited:
xscharge collected his info from here and put together the kit with Hughes help. Didn't give Hugh credit. Basically stole the idea and is selling it.
Leo

xscharge collected his info from here and put together the kit with Hughes help. Didn't give Hugh credit. Basically stole the idea and is selling it.
Leo

That's one side of the story. Like mentioned in another thread, the PMA idea for these bikes has been floating around for about 10 years on the internet. I believe mrriggs deserves a lot of credit for making these popular when he made his stator bracket and instructions on how to do the conversion. He provided a list of stators and regulators that would work. The plans for the disc used by Hugh has been out there for years. Hugh and now others are pulling all the pieces together to make it easier for us guys to do the swap. Just look at how much info is over on 650 Rider and the XS-650 Garage USA about the PMA before any kits were offered by anyone. Shit... I have contacts in the electrical world and thought about putting these together myself. No need to now with at least two other companies already doing it. My advice to anyone buying a kit, or piecing together their own kit, is just do your homework on what each option offers as far as components, service and support, and price, and then make your decision.

P.S. - Here's a link to the thread over at the XS-650 Garage USA about mrriggs' swap almost 4 years ago: http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Charging&action=display&thread=11096&page=1

yeah i dont want to add to a possible piss fest but hugh gives props to mr. riggs every chance he gets, and mr riggs gives props to aussies. their both fairly modest when this comes up n. putting the whole NEW components shebang together may be a first, and of course its a good idea and its going to get copied. is this new guy a member here?

but again things are going to get copied. im sure the first battery company was pissed when the second came out. you know what i mean....

:bike:

Without the sharing of knowledge much of what we have would not be available. I give props to all of the great minds and innovators that are keeping these old girls running with a renewed sense of vigor that is inspiring to say the least. Hugh, Mr. Riggs and all the others if you read this my hat's off to you all.

Without the sharing of knowledge much of what we have would not be available. I give props to all of the great minds and innovators that are keeping these old girls running with a renewed sense of vigor that is inspiring to say the least. Hugh, Mr. Riggs and all the others if you read this my hat's off to you all.

:agree:

:cheers:

It isn't some secret to making a million dollars. The info is out there to build them. The cost is the customer service and support you get from buying the kit.

Hugh is probably reading this right now. The other guy is checking his Paypal.

Bratstyle should start a war.

I can't wait to install the PMA. Got it from Mikes XS. definitely need it. Not only not charging the battery but also not getting the spark that I should. Which from what I've read is re-adjusting the gap on the plugs, and checking the coil resistance and wires for proper conductance. It already has the ignition upgrade. Then looking into the shift forks. issues with shifting from 1st to second. clutch is fine but, still replacing with new plates. Going through eliminating any would be issues.

I got the kit from Hugh's Handbuilt, and read the wiring comments by XSLeo on this forum. The instructions re wiring were meant fro folks real familiar with 650 electrical wiring projects and problems. That's not me, so the wiring got more complicated than it needed to due to my inexperience. Now that it's installed (after installing Pamco ignition)I am real happy with the results...totally worth it all.
Here's a email exchange between Hugh and Leo from this forum about the wiring:
skalar
XS650 Guru
Re: How-To: Permanent Magnet Alternator Swap (Also known as the Banshee Swap)
As I have told others, I have little experience with the PMA conversions, I understand them but no hands on experience.
Hugh has done this many times. If I have erred on any of this he can set us straight. Hugh?

From Hugh:
Leo, that works perfectly...

Posts: 1,280 Re: How-To: Permanent Magnet Alternator Swap (Also known as the Banshee Swap)
As I have told others, I have little experience with the PMA conversions, I understand them but no hands on experience.
Hugh has done this many times. If I have erred on any of this he can set us straight. Hugh?
Leo
That works perfectly...

It isn't some secret to making a million dollars. The info is out there to build them. The cost is the customer service and support you get from buying the kit.

Hugh is probably reading this right now. The other guy is checking his Paypal.

Bratstyle should start a war.

This made me chuckle... Thanks as always for the continued support... We do our best to ensure that each and every customer is satisfied, and using only the finest components available on the market.. :thumbsup:

Hugh

I have a '75 and an '81 Xs that I want to convert to Hugh's PMAs, Pamco ignitions, and NO batteries. I'm looking for some options with capacitors, since I've heard of headlight dimming issues with the Sparx-types. Is bigger better? Will one of the "big-twin" capacitors have enough capacitance to prevent dimming?

Leo

Well, HUGH got the idea from MrRiggs (see his thread on XS650Garage) and it was "out there" long before that.

This whole PMA thing started by using 3 phase PM stator and R/R's from the bone yard.
You'll need a stator mount bracket (xschng e.g.) and a RD type rotor. Here's a list of just some of the donor bikes that could be used.

who do you trust for components Nippon Denso or WonHungLow?

YAMAHA (ESR080)

XV250 Route 66 88-90
RZ350 YPVS 83-85
FZR400 88-90
XJ600S SECA II 92-98
YX600 Radian 87-90

HONDA (ESR 650)

GL 500 81-82
VF500 84-85
VT500C 82-84
VF750 82-84
VF-1100 83-86