1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Shops and Garages

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crash, Oct 22, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Being 21 my parents kicked me out of the garage, part time student, full time job, cycle work on side etc... Renting this place out $450 a month but I split it with another guy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The shop
    [​IMG]
    Gotta have a beer fridge! Scored the stainless box in a trade still trying to flip it
    [​IMG]
    All paint parts and chemicals. Scores the parts washer thru a table saw trade which I only had $20 in ;)
    [​IMG]
    Made the bench out of an old table top...red paint...stickers... DONE!!! also made a portaband into a table saw (blade is off right now)
    [​IMG]
    Messy work bench but an idea for others. 2x4 and some homemade L brakets got me perfect place for oil spray paint etc!
    [​IMG]
    Harbor freight lift. Can't beat the price! They go on sale for like 300 once in awhile and worth the money big time! I would like to make a mini spray booth and another wooden style bike lift eventually.
    But gotta save for a house so I can someday have a shop I can call mine

2. love the work bench! is that stainless?

3. tigman175

tigman175 XS650 Addict

No, just mild steel. I give them a wipe down with wd40 every now and then when i clean up.

4. Look at all that space! So jealous

5. CoastsideXS650

CoastsideXS650 Princeton Motor Works

Damn, $450 a month for that huge space with tools and power. That would land you a garage about 12' X 8' in my city. The average price of a 1 bdrm apt here is about $2600 right now. I need to move to the midwest.

6. 650hcs

650hcs Addict

This is my bedroom/shop and pics of the garage we are building, just leveled the piers today. cant wait to move everything down there and have a real workshop.

Attached Files:

7. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Since there's no 'workshop' category, I figured to wake-up this thread and add on to it.
    Built a 2-story 12x24 barn 10 years ago. Yes, it's cramped...

Attached Files:

8. TwoManyXS1Bs

So, recently decided to expand on this, added framework for entry floor.

Attached Files:

9. TwoManyXS1Bs

Then, added on a 12x26 carport to the front of the barn, and a partially enclosed 18x26 to the side.

Attached Files:

10. TwoManyXS1Bs

I hope there will be enuff room...

Attached Files:

11. PetesPonies

PetesPonies XS650 Addict

I do have an updated pic of my shop with the doors installed. The center doors I built from engineered lumber for the frame, then top materials for the look I wanted. It's a carriage style door. The two ends are roll-up doors. The other building in the picture is a garage as well, with an apartment on top. I am in the process of getting started on my house. But the shop served it purpose so far. But, I don't expect to be fully functional before next summer.The building is 56 x 64. The other building is 24 x 32. And no that is not too much room. [​IMG]

12. TwoManyXS1Bs

So, next would be an industrial strength parking lot, truck/delivery entrance in the rear, and a railroad spur?

13. I am Carbon

I am Carbon shade tree mechanic XS650.com Supporter

looks great and there is never to much room!

14. PetesPonies

PetesPonies XS650 Addict

Well I do restorations and will start up again once the house is built. So I need room for those activities and customer cars. But again . . I have a lot of toys myself too :) I haven't even started to build the "outbuildings " yet . . to house some of the trucks, etc.

TwoMany . . if you are working on bikes only, you have a lot of room there. I know, I know, never enough. But you can do some serious bike work with the room you have.

15. TwoManyXS1Bs

Oh, Pete, the disease is widespread and runs deep....

16. I wanted my shop to blend in with the area so I built it as a barn on the out side.The loft is very handy,as I do a tear down 1 piece at a time goes up.Rebuild, just grab parts from the rear working towards the front.

Attached Files:

17. oldbiker

oldbiker oldbiker

..... i luv your garage/workshop its a gem ,,i,d feel at home in that ,, regards oldbiker

18. grepper

grepper fiddle futzer

OK, lots Of pictures here...
    Three years ago I had a little ~12X8 space off my garage where I worked. Built my first three xs650s there. Two years ago I got married, and while my bide's house was bigger, there wasn't a work shop. I fiddle futzed in the crowded 1 car garage and a small corner of the basement. About 1 year ago we closed on our dream house together, a log home on 10 acres. The bonus was an extra 3 and 1/2 car garage in addition to the 2 car garage near the house.
    [​IMG]
    The first 1 1/2 stalls walled off with heat and A/C, the previous owner used as a home office.
    [​IMG]
    Those red cabinets he built were crap, and there was about a 4 inch gap behind them for tools to fall into. Plus they were too tall to be a work bench.
    So, I tore them apart and rebuilt them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Put in some over head shelving.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And some lighting too.
    [​IMG]
    The space has a desk I use for wiring.
    [​IMG]
    A mini fridge :D
    [​IMG]
    And the other two stalls I use for storage.
    [​IMG]

My latest addition....
    In the 2 car garage near the house there's a work bench that never really got used, except to take up space and to bang the car door into.
    [​IMG]
    So I took that apart to use to make a motorcycle work bench.
    [​IMG]
    I have about $15 into this bench project.. Some extra 2X4s and hooks for tie downs.
    Strong legs, three 2X4's thick.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Frame done.
    [​IMG]
    Top on there.
    [​IMG]
    Middle slides out for changing oil and easy access to the engine underside.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ramp fits inside it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have to finish reinforcing that ramp.
    Painted it.
    [​IMG]

The stand is about 26 inches high, 3 feet wide.

19. TwoManyXS1Bs

Holy sawdust, grepper, you've been busy. Now I know why there's a 2x4 shortage. Is that (hard to find) 1 1/2" plywood on that bench?

Beautiful lush green acreage you've got there, I like it...

20. TwoManyXS1Bs

Oh yeah, bikes, they're on the list, had to swapout a rearend first.

Attached Files: