Valve Adjustment- Video

These are your videos Bill? Great! I found them on youtube first and didn't realize it was you. I've been seeing useful tips from you all over the threads here. Great videos. Very informative. I'm doing my tune tomorrow. Cam chain, Valves, Timing, Carbs (which are giving me trouble, but your Mikuni BS34 videos helped me narrow it down to the floats! I'm definitely overflowing fuel from the float bowl. So hopefully thats the issue. Again thanks you!

My only question is, when you're referring to having to go through the cycle for each valve (can't just set it once and do them all) what are you meaning to do? If I'm doing the exhaust valve/compression stroke like you did in the video, make sure the ex. valve is up and the timing is lined up. But what about the other three valves? Still top dead center/compression stroke? Or do those valves need to be in their respective stroke?

Oh and one more question. (OFF TOPIC SOMEWHAT) Where can I buy a good carb rebuild kit? I haven't been able to find one yet and a link would be perfect! Thanks!

Runaway,

Perhaps this will help, works on any 4 stroke engine and all you need to know is which way the crank turns over.

--------------------------
- XS650 Valve Adjustment -
--------------------------

- remove both spark plugs, the 4 valve covers and the alternator cover.

- rotate the crank with a 17mm socket, so you don't damage the brushes with a wrench, counter clockwise.

- turn over crank until you see the left intake valve open, rocker arm going down, then close, rocker arm came back up. That what we call the intake stroke for the Left side.

- now put a straw into the left spark plug hole, continue turning the crank slowly, feeling for the piston to come to TDC (top dead center). This we call the compression stroke.

- when the piston reaches the highest point, you are at TDC, if you go past, backing up is okay, just be close to TDC and you'll be okay.

- now feel each rocker arm (intake and exhaust) and they should have some play

- now adjust the valves for the left side.

- when done, continue rotating the crank counter clockwise until you see the right intake valve open and close.

- again using the straw, feel for the right piston to come to TDC.

- adjust both valves.

- you are DONE.

- adjust the cam chain tensioner by turning the crank over a few times watching the plunger move in and out. Adjust until the plunger is flush with the end and has a tiny bit of movement when you turn the engine over.

Easy eh!

Attachments

• XS650Valve Adjustment.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 279
Thanks for the tips Brian902. I figured it all out over the weekend. Ran into a problem, but it's off topic haha. I'm going to be posting about it today.

I'm curious, does anyone know if the engines through out the years are all but identical, except for the early years but the 447s, why are the valve clearances suggested different from some years? Does it have to do with internals or exhaust and intake?

I'm still in the learning process, but with success. My engine started for the first time after sitting 7 years today :D. But setting that aside, I thought I set my valves correctly but I think I'm slightly off. I thought I had a 79 standard but turns out it's a 77 standard 650, so after watching your greatly done and informative videos I saw this diagram for the models and settings. What setting would your recommend for mine?

Tappets - model...inlet...exhaust

...XS1-B.....0.003"(0.076mm)...0.006"(0.15mm)
...XS2-650..0.006"(0.15mm)....0.012"(0.30mm)
...XSB........0.0024"(0.06mm)...0.004"(0.10mm)
...XSC-on...0.0024"(0.06mm)...0.006"(0.15mm)

Inlet 0.003", exhaust 0.006"
Thank you Guru, I did more research and to be honest I set it exactly what you suggested before I saw your post haha :D. It idles pretty high once it starts, I'm assuming I should adjust the idling screws? What would be the correct Idle RPM's?

Back