1970-1972 center stand stop -- what in the world?

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
DSC02761.JPG

1971 XS1B. Note the chain deflection caused by the center stand foot hitting it. Clearly, there should be some kind of "stop" to limit how far up the center stand can go. I am aware that there is no muffler in my pic. Is the muffler the stop? The big curve on the center stand's tang just collides with the bottom of the muffler? That seems pretty inelegant, and seems like it would dent the muffler bottom over time. Is that how it works, and if not, what's missing?

Added a stud with a rubber bumper. Bumper hits against frame. Added the tang when I changed to dual exhaust.
1712108805326.png

Last edited:
Reason for the tang is so I can bring it down with a muffler on the left side. Don't use it to put the bike on the center stand.

Thanks everyone, and thanks for all of the pics.
I've seen that stop on the muffler, just forgot about it. I at least went to the trouble to look at the parts diagrams, but the stop is completely hidden because of the diagram orientation.
And yeah, I too was curious about 2 into 1 or high pipe systems, good question and answer.

I don't have a centrestand, but I'm pretty sure, from memory, either the frame or centrestand has a stop. Using the muffler as a stop is not a good idea. Oops, sorry, I just noticed it's an early model. Don't know anything about them.

It appears the tab-on-the-muffler as a stop idea was used for the entire XS650 run. Pretty lazy solution if you ask me. Actually, very lazy solution.
Exhaust systems, along with handlebars and seats, are a high-customization item, meaning that even back in the day, there was a chance that a new owner would swap-out mufflers, and then he'd have to figure out his own centerstand stop idea, probably something along the lines of what Marty just posted. Yamaha could have made muffler swapping a lot easier by making a frame-based tab stop from the get-go. Better yet, I don't think it would have been too difficult to figure out a mechanical stop.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

For example, on the late 70s Standard models, one of the seat hinges -- the one on the left, above -- had a tab that acts as stop, preventing the seat from opening too far and crushing the side cover. An elegant solution that was replaced on the hinged-seat Special models with a clumsy seat prop bar and catch. A similar elegant solution should have been engineered for the centerstand stop.

A similar elegant solution should have been engineered for the centerstand stop.
I fully agree with that. My Beemer has a bolt as an adjustable stop on the stand itself, with a "bump pad" welded to the frame.
When I put the Commando mufflers on the SG, I did similar to what Marty showed above from Mikes. It's mounted to the muffler hanger bracket. It's an imperfect solution in my opinion, but it does work.

1712156573658.png

1712156597641.png

I just put some heater hose on the tang. The muffler doesn't get hot enough to melt it. It's been on there for years and works well. However, I try not to let the stand snap up on it's own, rather I gently raise it up with my foot on the tang .....

Braced Stand2.JPG

Tang Rubber.jpg

I had to get a little more creative with the factory braced tang on my '83 and slot the heater hose, lol .....

83StandInstalled2.jpg

83StandUp.jpg

Back