1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted - 1972 XS2 Gauges required

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by T Rex NZ, May 4, 2021 at 5:09 PM.

1. advice where some one knows of one for sale

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. direct me to some one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. T Rex NZ

T Rex NZ XS650 Member

Hi guys Laurence here from New Zealand, I just bought a 72 XS2 XS650-GS650 ( 750 cc ) that is missing the speedometer would anyone know where I can buy a good working condition ( not asking much for a 49 year bike eh ) gauge please. I saw one on e bay USA but the guy wants more than my budget allows and there is two in the UK one has a broken plastic face ( I thought they were glass XS1 maybe ??? )
    any help :)

2. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

hey Laurence, welcome to the site. Rare bike.............. import or NZ new??. ..............Introduce yourself in the Garage, the guys here will bend over backwards to help. Have had a couple of other GS750's on here over the years, not for a long time though

Heads up. If you change you heading to a wanted add you might get a better response

3. T Rex NZ

T Rex NZ XS650 Member

Cheers for your response I bought the GS750 from Texas and am having it shipped over some time soon. I don't believe they ever cam over here new and this is the first time I heard of this special model not sure how hard the parts are for piston and rings if required.
    being new to this site ( it's a fantastic forum site ) how do I change my enquiry heading I didn't notice that it was listed as for sale :-(

4. 650Skull

On the right side just above the black bar there will be 2 options. "Thread tools" and "Watch thread". Click on the down arrow and the drop box should have "Edit Title" and "Add Poll".

here is a PDF for the 650/750 Racing specs

Attached Files:

5. 650Skull

Here is some more information on the OW72 barrels and heads used on the racing bike
    OW 72 Head-Barrels 02 a.jpg OW 72 Head-Barrels 03a.jpg OW 72 Head-Barrels 03b.jpg

Right click and open in another tab to read. Can save file to download.

PDF is the story of OW72

Attached Files:

6. 650Skull

7. T Rex NZ

T Rex NZ XS650 Member

oh my I didn't think there was any more difference other than barrel bore and pistons. what have I bought I bet parts are non existant now.
    thank you for the information I was reading what you sent then I thought I had better say thank you.
    I have tried to follow your directions in changing from for sale to a forum but all I ended up doing is creating another for sale lol.

8. 650Skull

there was a lot of development in the racing department. Yamaha manufactured 200 road 750's based on the 72 XS650. There was a minimum number that had to be made for the public to be able to use them as a race bike.............now TZ750 will be able to give you the real information regarding the factory sold road 72 GS750's.

Sorry if i have freaked you out. if the bike is a Genuine GS750 it is worth a lot of money. There will be ways to replace internals, (pistons and rings if needed), as there is a good after market supply for these bikes........Chill

9. 650Skull

On the right i have the drop box opened up....

Screenshot_2021-.jpg

10. T Rex NZ

T Rex NZ XS650 Member

the title listing it as

11. T Rex NZ

T Rex NZ XS650 Member

title of bike says GS650-102718 I believe this would make it around the 134 of this batch ?

12. T Rex NZ

T Rex NZ XS650 Member

aha I found how to change it thanks for your help, were a bit slow here in Kiwi land lol, P/s I bought it for U$2000 I hope thats a good price it dose need restoring

13. 650Skull

Screen shots don't show it very well but here is the sequence
    Click on "thread tools"
    Screenshot_2021-.jpg
    In the drop box click on "edit Title"

Screenshot_2021-05-05 For Sale - - NZ only 1983 heritage Special.png
    The blac box opens up and shows the Green "For sale" , it has a hard to see arrow to click onto in the green For sale part of the box.

Screenshot_2021-05-05 For Sale - - NZ only 1983 heritage Special(1).png
    Now a new drop box will open up. To change the heading from "for sale" to "wanted" click on the red "Wanted".................Should change the heading

14. 650Skull

Don't worry i understand..........I'm from Taranaki.

That sounds like a reasonable buy. In one of the links i posted, the guy had a GS750 for sale and he was wanting $15,000.............Over here a restored XS2 can fetch upward of $10,000.

Go into the Garage and start a restore thread..........Post some pics of the bike...........there will be a lot of interest for sure................

Been a few XS2's where the owners have done some real professional restores on them...........not that i calling them professionals........would have to widen the door frame to get their heads trough if i did

15. T Rex NZ

T Rex NZ XS650 Member

the way I'm reading all the mods done to the engine would I be correct in thinking that these mods were done to the actual race bikes rather than the road version, not much use having a total loss system on a road bike. I'm thinking that barrels and pistons would be the extent done to the road versions ?

16. 650Skull

By my chart it makes it the 67th of the production line
    ID Chart01.jpg

17. 650Skull

Get hold of TX750, email or PM him from on here, or wait and he might chime in.

Yea i would think the road version wouldn't have that done to them.........What i said before about the TX750 pistons are a direct swap onto the XS650 conrods. I have read about people doing that to increase their bikes early 70-73 256 engine bikes. . 750 sleeves and the 750 TX pistons, they also had 22mm small end and piston pins.

A few yeas ago i did some research and Vinolia still made 750 pistons for the early 70-73 engines

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 8:59 PM
  18. T Rex NZ

T Rex NZ XS650 Member

Taranaki ha here I was thinking that I had a night owl American lol, hey thanks again for the info I'm reading it now, I have found one seller who has the last set of 750 pistons and rings for sale I won't buy them yet as untill I strip her down I won't know what I need.
    I have owned 1 69 XS1 that I completely restored and sold here on trademe ( gold colour one a few years ago ) and three XS2's this making number 4 my last project bike ( fingers crossed ) I'm in Taupo

19. 650Skull

well you know your way around the XS/TX so count me as a novice.:bow2:

Taupo, just over the Ruapahu hill. My son lives in Blenheim and he has my 83 XS650. Looking to spend a bit of time over there next year........Im in the Far North Queensland, Mission Beach, a couple of hours south of cairns

20. T Rex NZ

T Rex NZ XS650 Member

I looked up Vinolia but all I found were soaps and perfume is it a company name ?