1986 Yamaha SRX 600 Super Single new ride

pumps

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
A new addition to my herd. I've looked at these for years. A guy had one for sale locally and I went to look and bought.:bike::bike::bike:
IMG_0046.jpg

Last edited:
About the markings. The guy I bought it from is supposed to be the second owner. He said the original owner stated that at the dealer they gave him the option of having the markings put on or not. At first I thought I would like them on but as I look at that beautiful red tank I don't want to put anything on it. Heck it says Yamaha on the engine side cover so screw it. Did I mention it is kickstart only? YeeeHawwww!!!!!!!!

- hi pumps...i have one of these-i love it and ride it often, SR500 too...they actually produced a late model estart version, also monoshock...they are known to have weak 5th gear-if yours whines you know why...were only available stateside for 2 years i think

Very cool! I remember seeing one of these in the '80s and thinking how crazy they looked. Now you can see that bikes like these were on the cusp of change in Japanese bike building. A frame and tank that could almost pass as a modern bike today, with the front and rear of bikes past. That big round chrome headlight and the coil shocks... Great buy. And a single; that is the best.

I really like it. The seller listed it as a WRX. Does that mean it should have Subaru decals on it? I didn't give these bikes a second look when I bought my Maxim X in 1986. Now I want one! But I guess my 78 SR500 will have to suffice.

inxs- I did read a little about the later e start and monoshock versions. As far as I know they were only brought here in 86. In Japan they sold a lot of smaller displacement models. Hopefully with the low miles I won't have to worry about the weak gear.

danno- I thought it was funny that it was listed as a WRX too.

It kills me how narrow it is.

One of my favorite bikes, Yamaha had some great bike in that era. Sr's, TDM's and Seca's. All are becoming very collectable. Seems to me that they have lost their way in the last 10 years, Last time I stopped by dealers they only had one bike I would even consider, The WR-250.

Nothing like a big displacement thumper!

- i have pdfs for workshop manual and owners manual...too large to download here tho

So here it is.
IMG_0047.jpg
IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

Look how narrow it is.
IMG_0049.jpg

I don't know how to embed a video but here is the link. OH! I guess I DID get it to work.

I would be SO tempted to put wire wheels on it! Keep the stockers for points later but a cool bike either way.

i have an srx-600 myself. am going to have a gunfighter seat done by saddleman in the long beach area. wondering if anybody else wants one, they would like to do several at once corbin no longer will use the stock pan on the bike, they want to build an entirely new fiberglass pan, and want the bike up in Northern calif to do it. let me know if you are interested, or contact saddleman. taking my bike in on the 27th... Respectfully yours, Jeff :thumbsup:

I realize this is an old thread, but curious how your bike has been since you acquired it. I missed out on one earlier this year and have been kicking myself... seems a great, flickable little bike given it's power/weight.

I have had lots of fun on mine. It is very light and narrow. No problems with how it runs. Once you learn the trick of starting it is easy. And the sounds kicks ass with that Supertrapp. Always puts a grin on my face. I'm actually going to sell mine though. 9xxx miles. The SRX is a bit forward of a seating position and I have had back surgery. Time for something different. I think I want a W650 Kawasaki.

@pumps
Hey there,
Have you sold it yet? I know it has been awhile since you have posted this, but I am looking to buy a SRX. My father bought one new in 1986 and had all kinds of engine work done to it. When he was don't the super single had over 80hp, and he called it the "Hyper single". If any one has info of where I can look for one or if yours is still available I'd love to hear about it.

Back