62 Shovel ????

Dusty

Dusty
Reaction score
Well, I pulled the trigger on a shovelhead today. The title says 62 but it's got an S&S shovel motor in it. The tranny is a ratchet top,and the frame looks to be as old as he says but nothing else is 62. I paid 2 grand,and he threw in a new twisted spoke 21" front wheel,and a set of steel bike ramps. I'm not even going to touch it untill I finish the 77 brat I'm working on.

This is the bike just as I got it. He was askin twice that for it but I didn't want it that bad. It's been 5 yrs since I owned or worked on a HD.
DSC00623.jpg

It's an old cake pan to catch the oil dripping out of the crankcase vent tube. This S&S oil pump sumps down just like the one on my buddies old panhead. My XS's don't leak!!!

Pre 70' the title went with the engine, so your "62 Shovel" with an S&S engine won't have a real title. The s&S Engine will have either an MSO or a Special Contruction title. I stay away from most of those paperwork nightmares unless they are legit and good to go. Still not a bad score, goodluck with the paperwork.

I got an Indiana title with it,and Maine is pretty good with the bill of sale thing to get it Registered. I also was leary of the S&S engine instead of a pan but I figured I could get my money back in parts if it comes to that. We'll see what happens when I go to the DMV. I don't plan on investing one thin dime untill I know I can register in my name.

It's an old cake pan to catch the oil dripping out of the crankcase vent tube. This S&S oil pump sumps down just like the one on my buddies old panhead. My XS's don't leak!!!

Do you just plan to put the cake pan in a bag pack when your riding? LMAO Looks like a decent score tho.....

Thank you, I laughed hard when I read that. No,when I start working on it, I'll make it so it doesn't leak. The only Harley I ever had that leaked more than a couple drops was a 41 80 inch flathead. The tin primary's are supposed to leak. I'm in no hurry to work on this. I have a 77 XS I'm in the middle of doing.

I am also curious how you are going to register that bike...

As previously mentioned, all pre 1970 Harleys are titled to the MOTOR ONLY. In fact, a real pre-1970 Harley frame does not even have a serial number... just a date code.

In Maryland, if you put a post- 1970 motor in a pre- 1970 frame you are required to re-title the vehicle as special construction, and the vehicle year ends up being the year that you apply for a title... so your bike may end up as a 2012...

Like you said, maybe Maine is less strict with such things...

I have run into this problem several times before, and here are they ways that I solved it:

1) I bought a titled Harley frame (post-1970), cut off the frame neck (where the VIN plate and serial numbers are) and then cut the neck off of the pre-1970 frame I wanted to use and welded the newer titled neck to the pre-1970 frame. Just make sure you do this in a frame jig so it ends up straight.

2) I bought a set of pre-1970 Harley engine cases with a title and swapped over all my motor parts into the old titled engine case. In my opinion, this is the way to go... and pre-1970 engine cases with titles show up on Ebay and Craigs List pretty often.

3) Part the bike out...

There is a boss on the frame that has the Indiana title #'s stamped into it. I don't know if the original engine blew up,and this is how they delt with it. I have the paper trail that covers me but I'm sure if there turned out to be problems, I would be out the money I have invested. I thought about all the options you talked of but I will wait,and see what happens when I try to register in my name???

Back