I Don't NEED Another Project

robinc

Member of the 'yellow meter gang'
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Ok guys…….you've created a monster. I can't stop myself.

Let’s be real here. I don’t NEED another project.

Those of you who have followed along with my escapades know that I spent the last two 2 years refurbing and just did the top end rebuild on my 77D. And, have recently been 'clutching at straws’ to try and solve a mystery noise issue.

My 78E still needs some attention cosmetically. More cleaning, engine detailing, painting, tires, battery. Tank and side covers need some dents pulled/filled, paint and decals, petcocks rebuilt.

So, I’ve got a lot to do, and don’t NEED another project.

Welp, here we are today……..
Hooked up a neighbours trailer to buddy's truck and we're ready to leave this morning for a little ROAD TRIP to Kingsville. A small town on Lake Erie, about 2 hours west of me, Maxpete’s and Lakeview’s way.

IMG_20180618_064839.jpg

And, here we are ready to head home………

IMG_20180618_093854.jpg

OK, so here’s the back story.

This March I missed out on a really good deal on a 71.

I had been watching that one here in town for quite awhile……..biding my time........watching the price drop. Thought it had sold. Then it was relisted, new price…...hmmm.
It was then posted here on the forum and gggGary said, “Alright Canadian bro's. Dig up your cash and and fire up the truck!”

Dang it, my hand was now forced. :rolleyes: :)
Had an appointment to go look at it, but It sold the night before I got there. So I guess it wasn't meant to be.

This fella said that he had a barn find 73 TX650 with title that he was going to bob, would be great for a resto, but his plans have changed and he wants it out of his garage. He's already got one bobber project in there that he's having trouble finding time to finish.
Not running. Asked him if it was seized, he didn’t know, said he had loosened it up a couple of years ago when he was going to get started on it, but hadn't tried it lately. Who knows?
I can’t spin it so need to do the careful wake up drill when I get to it. Back brake was seized, backed it off and broke it free so that's not seized anymore and at least I can roll it easier now.
Needs a tank, but looks like everything else is there. Just lots to re chrome or replace.
Best I could haggle him down to was $175. He signed over the papers, and we rolled it into the trailer. Last licensed in 1985, so a real barn find.

Mailman Bob's doing his Holy Grail 72. Been some of them, and some 71’s done here lately but I don’t recall seeing a resto on a 73 for awhile. Figured someone had to take one for the team.

So, looks like you guys won’t be getting rid of me for awhile yet.

At the one step forward two steps back snail's pace that I seem to move this one will likely take a few years, but I'm OK with that. At least this time, that's the PLAN!

Haven't hooked up a battery yet, but looks like the harness may be intact. I'll do that over the next few days just to see if I can get the lights to work.
Really haven't taken the time to do a full survey yet. Got some pics I'll try to post up later. Gotta go check some stuff for 2M on my 77.
Just got it in the garage out of the rain. Maybe should have left it out there......lol.
I’ll do the careful wake up drill over time, check the compression, see if it runs..........then I’ll put it in the shed where she's safe.

My plan is to somehow get some clicks on my 77, get my 78 back on the road, and then do a full ground up restore on this one.

Anyone got a non leaker 73 tank they‘d part with? haha

Man….........I don't NEED another project!
But…….….that don't mean I don't WANT another one!

I just hope I can get ONE of these on the road THIS year!

Ok guys…….you've created a monster. I can't stop myself.

Those of you who have followed along with my escapades know that I spent the last two 2 years refurbing and just did the top end rebuild on my 77D. And, have recently been 'clutching at straws’ to try and solve a mystery noise issue.

My 78E still needs some attention cosmetically. More cleaning, engine detailing, painting, tires, battery. Tank and side covers need some dents pulled/filled, paint and decals, petcocks rebuilt.

So, I’ve got a lot to do, and don’t NEED another project.

Welp, here we are today……..
Hooked up a neighbours trailer to buddy's truck and we're ready to leave this morning for a little ROAD TRIP to Kingsville. A small town on Lake Erie, about 2 hours west of me, Maxpete’s and Lakeview’s way.

View attachment 120523

And, here we are ready to head home………

View attachment 120524

OK, so here’s the back story.

This March I missed out on a really good deal on a 71.

I had been watching that one here in town for quite awhile……..biding my time........watching the price drop. Thought it had sold. Then it was relisted, new price…...hmmm.
It was then posted here on the forum and gggGary said, “Alright Canadian bro's. Dig up your cash and and fire up the truck!”

Dang it, my hand was now forced. :rolleyes: :)
Had an appointment to go look at it, but It sold the night before I got there. So I guess it wasn't meant to be.

This fella said that he had a barn find 73 TX650 with title that he was going to bob, would be great for a resto, but his plans have changed and he wants it out of his garage. He's already got one bobber project in there that he's having trouble finding time to finish.
Not running. Asked him if it was seized, he didn’t know, said he had loosened it up a couple of years ago when he was going to get started on it, but hadn't tried it lately. Who knows?
I can’t spin it so need to do the careful wake up drill when I get to it. Back brake was seized, backed it off and broke it free so that's not seized anymore and at least I can roll it easier now.
Needs a tank, but looks like everything else is there. Just lots to re chrome or replace.
Best I could haggle him down to was $175. He signed over the papers, and we rolled it into the trailer. Last licensed in 1985, so a real barn find.

Mailman Bob's doing his Holy Grail 72. Been some of them, and some 71’s done here lately but I don’t recall seeing a resto on a 73 for awhile. Figured someone had to take one for the team.

At the one step forward two steps back snail's pace that I seem to move this one will likely take a few years, but I'm OK with that. At least this time, that's the PLAN!

Haven't hooked up a battery yet, but looks like the harness may be intact. I'll do that over the next few days just to see if I can get the lights to work.
Really haven't taken the time to do a full survey yet. Got some pics I'll try to post up later. Gotta go check some stuff for 2M on my 77.
Just got it in the garage out of the rain. Maybe should have left it out there......lol.
I’ll do the careful wake up drill over time, check the compression, see if it runs..........then I’ll put it in the shed where she's safe.

My plan is to somehow get some clicks on my 77, get my 78 back on the road, and then do a full ground up restore on this one.

Anyone got a non leaker 73 tank they‘d part with? haha

Man….........I don't NEED another project!
But…….….that don't mean I don't WANT another one!

I just hope I can get ONE of these on the road THIS year!
Actually I do have a 73 tank. Don't know if it leaks or not. Never had it on a bike.

The way I look at it is there are far worse things we could be spending our time and money on, lol. I know some people who drink or gamble all theirs away. All that gets you is an empty wallet and a hangover, lol. Sure, these 650s can end up costing you some money, but you're nowhere near $15000 Harley territory. Heck, you could fix up 6 or 8 650s for that, maybe more. I've got the $200 Special nearly ready to fire up and so far it's only cost about another $200.

So true 5twins.
I remind my wife, at least you know where I am and what I'm doing.

I can't wait to see your new project.
Sure wish I had your parts stash. Kinda think this will cost a little more than that. :yikes:

Hey, that's OK. I'm in no rush on this one. This is my long term enjoy the trip project.

You'd better go back for 3 years more Dude!

Course I guess they'll still be selling popcorn 3 years from now. :D

Thanks buddy!

Awright Robin! There's nothing like towing home a new toy! And, yeah, I agree with 5twins. You can totally overhaul many Xss for the cost of one Hadly Anderson! And when you go down to the local Blues joint on a Friday night (we have the "Dinosaur Barbeque"), all you see is HD, HD, HD, HD.... parked right out front. When you park an Xs, you draw a crowd. "What kind is that?" as people oooooooggle over 'the cool bike' :rock::bow::bike::bow2::rock:

1. Yes you do!
2. Good!
3. No No No you must start this immediately! We need to watch you. Haha!

Seriously, man what a great starting point. With a buy in price like that you can buy lots of parts before you begin to approach what that bike is worth. You’re already right side up.

I’m seeing Robins garage ten years from now........
E406C99E-9A7A-46EC-BD6F-9DAD7F3EBF18.jpeg 6A1B18F4-9EED-49F3-9043-A0B5478A506C.jpeg
Haha! Have fun with your newest project! Pictures man! We want pictures!

Thanks 59Tebo. Ya, buddy said , "I can't wipe the grin off your face right now"....lol.

So true, we passed upmteen bikes on the road today. 95% of them were Hardleys. Not saying I wouldn't like or own one but they're not in my price range......yet.

Looking forward to this one. Will be awhile before I get to her, but she ain't going anywhere!

Thanks Bob.

I’m seeing Robins garage ten years from now.......

Jeesh you know better than that Bob. At the pace I move......:eek:

Haha! Have fun with your newest project! Pictures man! We want pictures!

Will get some posted soon. Trying to get a new spreadsheet done up with data done for 2M on my 77. Also some new videos to post on that. Gotta get that girl back on the road and that will take a lot of pressure off these projects. :D

Ok Bob, just had a chance to snap some more pics. I'm not going to comment on everything I see. She'll be torn right down so everything will be done.

IMG_20180619_154302.jpg

IMG_20180619_154935.jpg

Gonna need new handlebars. Seat is in amazing condition.
IMG_20180619_154703.jpg

IMG_20180619_154733.jpg

Keys are there, that's nice. Iggy switch turns fine but is loose, so will have to rebuild that.
IMG_20180619_154712.jpg

Probably be looking for new gauges, covers at least. Will at least require a rebuild. Trip meter won't turn. Bent headlight ear.
IMG_20180619_154743.jpg

Nice carb bowl overflow tube eh?
IMG_20180619_155015.jpg

IMG_20180619_155026.jpg

IMG_20180618_145028.jpg IMG_20180619_160218.jpg IMG_20180619_160302.jpg IMG_20180619_160345.jpg

Our humidity has wreaked havoc on the chrome as happens up here. Will look into whether or not these fenders can be re-chromed and will be watching for replacements. Maybe a parts bike will pop up with some better bits. Ya never know eh?

Amazingly the pipes and rims are in really good shape. May be able to save them, although I'll punish myself and learn how to relace a rim with new stainless spokes.

You can see it pretty much needs everything. Ah well, got a couple of years to source parts.

These photos are a pretty good record of where she's starting from. Probably be some more pics taken along the way. :laugh2:

For some reason unkownst to me as to how it works, my phone photo app automatically 'stylizes' the odd photo. This one popped up a few minutes ago.

Ahhhh....that looks better.

IMG_20180618_144814-EFFECTS.jpg

Back