'77 XS final issues- I am about to get her back on the road

gdcpony

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am about done rebuilding an XS that was wrecked in May of 2011. In that wreck, the damage done was surprisingly minor. Pegs, Bars, Levers, and exhaust were all toast. I sold the bike in that condition over the objections of my daughter who was on the bike for the wreck. My friend who bought it never did anything with it and eventually my daughter bugged him enough to get it back in exchange for a rifle action and stock.

That was back in March. Today I got the wiring back together and just for giggles tried the starter. Well, she not only turned over, but started up and ran, albeit roughly. An hour later I was buzzing up and down the neighborhood checking her out for what was left. As I was typing this up I was shown pics of my daughter trying it out too! I'll get her for that later.

In any case, here are the remaining final issues:

Slow tach response- I figure some lube might help this and shot some down to sit over night.

Speedo not reading over 15-20mph- This is an odd one as everything, but the gauge has been replaced in the past. None the less I lubed it up too.

Clutch sticky- No other way to describe it. I would shift and wait for it to grab and the lever to release out. Again more lube.

Rear brakes non existent/ front weak, but livable- I will bleed this, but I expect pads to need replaced at least.

Oil Leak under the sprocket cover- I expect either the sprocket or clutch seal is gone.

So with some minor issues before I get her "on the road," I am impressed with how she weathered over two years of not even being started. I did clean out the carbs and replace the battery, but nothing else besides replace bent parts. She actually runs smoother now with the HD Sportster mufflers on her (Hey, I found them for 25/pair so no flaming). The idle is great without any more than a crank on the adjuster! I haven't even changed the oil yet!

I will post some current pics soon. Here is where I started this weekend. I had allot of wiring to fix!
66617_510108062373647_1692005873_n.jpg

Yep, I have a few toys. 6 in the stable for the moment. 4 that run good.
269075_200602739990849_5126734_n.jpg

264797_200602203324236_7050727_n.jpg

My daughter loves to prod that she deserves the bike I wrecked her on. "Get back to work, dad!"

Last edited:
Good show!
Is it a 79 special?

Nope. A modified '77. I got her off the original owner who had upgraded allot on her. Paid $500 for my first bike and got literally a pick up bed full of parts to go with her. I can't begin to list the swaps, but the only one I want to add is dual front brakes now.

She has paid her dues as my learning bike and my daughter has wanted her since I first gave her a ride. Ever seen a young girls in tears over a wrecked old bike? Heart rending. So today she got to ride it on her own in our neighborhood.

You shouldn't need to add dual front brakes. The original single front works very well if in proper operating condition. If you can't fix that then good luck with dealing with the complexity of duals and making them work.

You shouldn't need to add dual front brakes. The original single front works very well if in proper operating condition. If you can't fix that then good luck with dealing with the complexity of duals and making them work.

I know I will have the single working. It is just one of those things on the list to try later. After all, why not have a little extra!

There's several good threads here on instrument repairs. Try forum searches 'speedometer', 'tachometer', and 'bezel'....

Yeah if the lube doesn't work by the time I get home today, I might. For now I am letting it soak so to speak.

Last edited:
Yeah for most riding, a well sorted single rotor with a smaller MC, teflon lines, and aggressive pads is the ticket. Riding a dualed stock rotor bike this week it's got great feel but it's HEAVY up there.
drilled dual stock rotors
stock calipers
standard MC from a US special
teflon lines
aftermarket pads.

Yeah for most riding, a well sorted single rotor with a smaller MC, teflon lines, and aggressive pads is the ticket. Riding a dualed stock rotor bike this week it's got great feel but it's HEAVY up there.
drilled dual stock rotors
stock calipers
standard MC from a US special
teflon lines
aftermarket pads.

I will be swapping pads this weekend, and bleeding everything during the week. I think I may have to replace the rear MC, but we will see if the pads/bleeding help out.

Ok so now that it is running, I have a bit of a titling issue. The whole situation is easy to resolve, but I filling out forms without the title infront of me I also can't locate a VIN on the bike. So I get a text saying the VIN is 477716149. This is a '77 XS650 so no special or any other items to think about.

My internet is restricted here at work (military) so advanced searching is out. Is this a viable VIN? Seems different than any I remember before.

Ok all notorized by an Officer and will be going out with the unit mail tomorrow. A couple weeks to get the bugs worked out before I can bring her to work and back a few times for testing. Until then I will be in my little culdesac enjoying the nostalgic value of my first bike under me again.

I can't wait to get her up to speed again!

Are the lawmen in your area really that observant?
In my area they are usually so busy looking at the computer, listening to the radio and texting they rarely look around. As long as you aren't standing out too much.
Tell your daughter hard soles are required in shop environments.

Are the lawmen in your area really that observant?
In my area they are usually so busy looking at the computer, listening to the radio and texting they rarely look around. As long as you aren't standing out too much.
Tell your daughter hard soles are required in shop environments.

I am my unit's Motorcycle Mentorship Program Representative. All riders in my unit take their lead from me supposedly. I am supposed to be the epitomy of the rules about riding in the Marine Corps. So it would be REALLY bad for my career to be caught by that one obvservant LEO. Not to mention I want it stickered for on base and they check all your docs.

She usually does. I need to get the pics of her riding it up as she loves it and has spent the last two evenings doing lazy circles on it. Now, if only she listened as well as my Marines do.

Your sticky clutch and minor oil leak may well be related. Check the clutch actuating rod to see if it's bent. If it is it may well have that seal leaking.

Ok the clutch seems to be moving freely now.

When I went to do the brakes I found that the front MC pulls as much as it pushes. I figure it is time for a rebuild/replacement. I didn't touch the rear yet.

To revive an old thread instead of starting a new one. The bike is running good and smooth now. I never got the rear brake working to my satisfaction, but it did function. The speedo I had a spare of and threw it in fixing that. The clutch seal was replaced, but still leaks, the rod looked good.

I replaced the handle bars per my daughter's request. Soon she will be getting her permit for it. She loves to put around our cul de sac on it. She has a paint theory and so I will be spraying the tank and side covers (maybe blasting the fenders too even though I like the chrome on them) with a "sapphire blue" for her. I might even try out my air brush on some flames for her before I clear it. A next winter project.

Now the bad:

1. The clutch seal is leaking again. Since it was replaced less than a thousand miles ago this leads me to believe something is causing it. I am thinking of replacing the entire clutch system to include the plates, discs, rod and such. Any tips on a the good parts to go with for a stock replacement? Maybe something a little smoother?

2. The rear MC is toast, and I don't want the same type back in it. The whole pivot thing is a lot of linkage for play to build up in. I am looking to mount something similar to my other bikes:
$_12.jpg

I am wondering if anyone has done that or will I be flying blind here. I figure to weld some tabs on the frame and mount it up.

Oh yeah, a pic or two right?
10171683_715099638541154_3261546593451970000_n.jpg

The current collection.
1797580_716577331726718_8833447943058641092_n.jpg

She likes to sneak it out, and my wife snapped a few pics.
10171897_716577311726720_5762482274718251402_n.jpg

She loves it!
10155999_716577308393387_8106695677766350369_n.jpg

And then I caught her in what she was wearing. She has full gear, she just didn't put it on.

Looking good!
Since the '77 came stock with a drum brake I guess anything goes.
Yeah, all the gear, all the time. So far the only dump I've had was slow speed in a hay field, but what a wake up call.....before I knew it I was on the ground with what seemed like a broken shoulder and self deprecating thoughts swirling around my head which evolved into ' how am I going to pick this thing up' and how do I hide this from the wife.

Back