78 standard, roadside attraction, project?

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
It's JPDevol's fault, he found it on facebook then forced me to buy it. I wasn't even looking, it was about 30 miles from me, took 4 days afore the stars aligned, just dragged it home.
Pretty much what you see is what I got, His great? grandfathers bike. :unsure:
No title but a name, and I was in the DMW titling the Bool the other day so got the right paperwork from the state, we'll see how this goes. Wisconsin title transfers are now $169! that's not including sales tax or license either, grr.
Anyway he had it running, but motor died when he put it in gear, he started taking it apart, project stalled and now I gotta try to find a spare minute for it.
New tires, 2021 date codes! battery's good, came with a key. New petcocks It's really not too bad under some dirt.
ad1.jpgad4.jpgKIMG4013.JPG

Ran into these guys at a gas station, they rode up from Milwaukee had put put on 120 smiles so far had another 25 to a motel.
KIMG4010.JPGpan2.jpgpan1.jpgpan3.jpgpan4.jpg
Then @CafePhil stopped by, while I was in the garage.
KIMG4017.JPG
Out tooling around in the MG he restored.

Last edited:
It's JPDevol's fault, he found it on facebook then forced me to buy it. I wasn't even looking, it was about 30 miles from me, took 4 days afore the stars aligned, just dragged it home.
Pretty much what you see is what I got, His great? grandfathers bike. :unsure:
No title but a name, and I was in the DMW titling the Bool the other day so got the right paperwork from the state, we'll see how this goes. Wisconsin title transfers are now $169! that's not including sales tax or license either, grr.
Anyway he had it running, but motor died when he put it in gear, he started taking it apart, project stalled and now I gotta try to find a spare minute for it.
New tires, 2021 date codes! battery's good, came with a key. New petcocks It's really not too bad under some dirt.
View attachment 245666View attachment 245667View attachment 245668

Ran into these guys at a gas station, they rode up from Milwaukee had put put on 120 smiles so far had another 25 to a motel.
View attachment 245670View attachment 245671View attachment 245672View attachment 245673View attachment 245674
Then @cafephil stopped by, while I was in the garage.
View attachment 245675
Out tooling around in the MG he restored.
Oh Gary, you poor fella. Nice score. BTW, love the Panheads!

I am a bit partial but '78 is a very good year, lol. Try as I might, I still haven't gotten my '83 Special to run and ride quite as nice as the old '78 Standard. Apples and oranges as far as the ride goes I think, what with the slight difference in the frame geometries and rear wheel sizes. The running part I'm not sure about yet. The '83 runs fine but doesn't start as easily or readily cold as the '78. It has a freshly rebuilt topend so it does run nice once it's going, but it doesn't seem to have quite the top end "umph" (5K and above) that the '78 has. That may be because I ported the '78. At the moment, both bikes are running the same carbs, '78-'79 BS38s with XS400 5Z1 needles. I like this set-up. The 5Z1 needle is a bit leaner through most of it's range so it allowed me to bump the mains up one more size (from 140 to 142.5). This makes a pretty good difference at 5K and above. You can feel it, it pulls harder.

Hope @Jim is happy now.
Was wandering by it and:
With a scrub, scrub here
and a parts change there
that's the way we clean em up in the merry ole SOIR of gggGary
KIMG4023.JPG

Nothing serious yet but with an emerald green 78 paint job.....

Last edited:
Hope @Jim is happy now.
Was wandering by it and:
With a scrub, scrub here
and a parts change there
that's the way we clean em up in the merry ole SOIR of gggGary
View attachment 245747
Nothing serious yet but with an emerald green 78 paint job.....
You are having lots of fun with this one I’m sure.Hard to mess up,even with your blindfolds on.Lol.Enjoy

Back