'81 Stator (i think) issues...

szts

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have an 81 xs650. Its super clean but has been nothing but a pain in the ass. The latest issue is the charging system. I cleaned the stator ans checked the brushes. All are good. Through it back together. And now it wont turn over. Started in two kicks prior to cleaning the stator. Any suggestions??

Porter:banghead:

I have an 81 xs650. Its super clean but has been nothing but a pain in the ass. The latest issue is the charging system. I cleaned the stator ans checked the brushes. All are good. Through it back together. And now it wont turn over. Started in two kicks prior to cleaning the stator. Any suggestions??

Porter:banghead:

I think you mean you cleaned the rotor slip rings???

"Won't turn over"..............do you mean the electric starter motor will not crank the engine, or do you mean you are kicking but no start ???

What is the battery voltage now. If the voltage is less than 12.5 volts, you should charge the battery with a bench charger for 8 hours at least. Assuming you have a 14 amp/hr battery, only charge at 2 amps or less.

The stator has to go on right. There are two alignment pins. It needs to seat down on both. If not it will be cocked and hit the rotor hard enough to prevent the engine from turning over.
Leo

Just like Leo said if put in wrong it will be hard or locked up.
You need to give us more info to help.
DOES MOTOR TURN EASY YES/NO
DO YOU HAVE SPARK YES/NO
DID YOU CHECK FUSES YES/NO
DO THE GAUGE LIGHTS LITE UP?????
Those are the things you got to answer.
You can pull it back off and reseat it again and then crank motor
1981 is a TCI bike if stock and you do have a pickup on it for spark its the oval piece in picture Did you break a wire?

Attachments

• IMG_1422.JPG
    IMG_1422.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1424.JPG
    IMG_1424.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 207
Back