83 Yamaha XS650 won’t idle

Connector at ign. coil should have R/W wire. Looking for voltage there with key and kill switch on

I'm curious why you think your Pamco has failed? Just quickly read through all this (nice survivor btw) and read that it'll run but won't idle. Where in all that mix did you lose ignition?

I'm curious why you think your Pamco has failed? Just quickly read through all this (nice survivor btw) and read that it'll run but won't idle. Where in all that mix did you lose ignition?
it was running but now won’t turn over. I started with checking the coil and spark plugs. Coil is good, same with plugs.

May not need it. Not a good option IMO, but this is the successor to PAMCO
https://www.mikesxs.net/ignition-kit-electronic-e-advancer-xs-charge-xs650-1970-1984.html
There's a possibility the Pamco was installed just for the "wow, look at the shiny new blah blah.....
Which means the original TCI might still be intact.

Maybe they went Pamco 'cause the TCI box gave up the ghost...... gonzo is a viable option here.

There's a possibility a PMA was installed just for the "wow, look at the shiny new blah blah.....
Which meant the original TCI lost it's trigger.... and a Pamco was added.

Pulling the 2 cam covers and the alternator cover will reveal "some" answers.....

Which brings me back to my original question, what makes you think the Pamco died?

Also, I suspect this may be non-US model with (was) original points bike

👍 Pics please

There's a possibility the Pamco was installed just for the "wow, look at the shiny new blah blah.....
Which means the original TCI might still be intact.

Maybe they went Pamco 'cause the TCI box gave up the ghost...... gonzo is a viable option here.

There's a possibility a PMA was installed just for the "wow, look at the shiny new blah blah.....
Which meant the original TCI lost it's trigger.... and a Pamco was added.

Pulling the 2 cam covers and the alternator cover will reveal "some" answers.....

Which brings me back to my original question, what makes you think the Pamco died?
Well the points have been removed

it was running but now won’t turn over. I started with checking the coil and spark plugs. Coil is good, same with plugs.
Just so we're all on the same page here....

"Turns over"... means the engine spins but doesn't "fire."
"Fires" .... means it gets fuel and spark... and want's to run, just doesn't quiet get there.
"Running"... self explanatory.

Are you trying to say it "turns over" but won't "fire"?

Since this started as a carb not idling problem, I'd be more inclined to think the carbs got worse rather that the ignition also went south.

So again... what makes you think the Pamco died?

Just so we're all on the same page here....

"Turns over"... means the engine spins but doesn't "fire."
"Fires" .... means it gets fuel and spark... and want's to run, just doesn't quiet get there.
"Running"... self explanatory.

Are you trying to say it "turns over" but won't "fire"?

Since this started as a carb not idling problem, I'd be more inclined to think the carbs got worse rather that the ignition also went south.

So again... what makes you think the Pamco died?
It won’t turn over at the moment. Mechanic came to check it out and that was his conclusion

Also, I suspect this may be non-US model with (was) original points bike

👍 Pics please
Speedo reads KPH, so you might be right... originally a points bike.
Pics please.

It won’t turn over at the moment.
The motor's locked up? Neither the electric start or kicker will "turn it over"?
Did you try putting it in gear and rocking it to get it to turn over?

Terminology is kinda important. :cautious:

under left cover (round one and both sides under cam covers please

Left bottom, just behind the shifter... 2 screws. That's the alternator cover. Let's see what's behind it.

Top of the head, both sides. Chrome with "650" on 'em... 2 screws. Those are the cam covers. Let's see behind 'em.

Left bottom, just behind the shifter... 2 screws. That's the alternator cover. Let's see what's behind it.

Top of the head, both sides. Chrome with "650" on 'em... 2 screws. Those are the cam covers. Let's see behind 'em.
Closeups!

Color me suspicious: of the battery, the mechanic and a faulty PAMCO.

Back