A few adjustmens

kenco

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone help with a few adjustments i want to make to the engine. After about 8 months the motor has started. Bloody hell does it sound good. There afew rattle when its running which i think is the cam chain. I've chect the adjustment and it was loose. I got the engine at TDC aand adjusted it so it was flush. Is this the right way ?

I have adjusted the valves and points but can anybody confirm the the clearence for a xs650D.

The bike started first time, it runs and idles when you open the throttle it gets to about half throttle and it doesnt go any higher. It just bogs the engine down and it sruggles to fire.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ken

It's accepted practice to use .003" intake and .006" exhaust for the valves on all models. The service data chart for your '77 specs .002" for the intakes but I wouldn't run them that tight. You can view the chart (or download it) here .....

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af327/bmwbobz/Service Data/77-78ServiceData.jpg

Have you checked the condition of your diaphragms? If they have holes in them, that can stop them from lifting fully and explain the failure to get past half throttle.

The manual gives no particular point (like TDC) at which to set the cam chain. You just turn the motor over by hand and observe the rod movement while doing so. If it doesn't move in and out, you're set too tight.

Back