A new beginning for an old classic.

Kidloser0419

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to the site, as well as xs650s. I recently picked up an XS of which the year is unknown, but I've started a build on it. I'm doing the build on a super tight budget and will most likely need some advice along the way about parts, how-to's, etc. I already have the frame and wheels painted and am trying to get a decent roller ready for the engine install. I know I'm missing the rear wheel spacers, and possibly the front as well. If anyone can point me in the right direction to find these, or a good substitute, please let me know. Also, does anyone know whether or not it's a good idea to use the kickstarter as a kickstand? I've seen it done a couple times and thought it looked really cool. Anyway, all help is greatly appreciated and I'll be loading pics of the build as I go.

Gotta know what you've got to help. Fix us up with the Vin and pictures. In the mean time get a manual. We will try to help.

I use my kickstarter as a stand if I have to stop on the side of the road, but only sometimes. I imagine the return spring would wear out faster than normal if you always used it like that.

I picked it up as a basket case. The guy said he didn't know what year it was, nor did he have a title. He wrote me a bill of sale for it with the vin numbers. As soon as I can figure out where my wife put it, I'll post them. I went to put the engine back in today and realized I don't have a front engine mounting bracket, or the holes to use one at all. Will this matter, or can I go without?

"I use my kickstarter as a stand if I have to stop on the side of the road, but only sometimes. I imagine the return spring would wear out faster than normal if you always used it like that."

How exactly does this work Jamesgs4? Do I have to loosen the bolt that holds the lever in place, or will it just turn that far?

Alright, the vin number for the frame and engine is 5V4-008612. If anyone can help me find out a bit more about my mystery machine, please let me know. Thanks.

If you're smart you'll get a title before you start spending money on the bike. I'm always amazed at the people who fix up old bikes before finding out they can't get a title.

Also, in North Carolina a Bill of Sale is a useless scrap of paper and if you apply for a lost title the replacement title will go to the last real owner of the bike.

Isn't there a special circumstance for custom builds? I guess I could always go to a junk yard, buy a scrap frame with a title, and use that.

There is no special circumstance for custom builds? Take your frame to DMV before you do anything else. And be prepared to spend a couple hundred.

I would love to find junkyards in NC that have XS650 parts.

Thanks for the info ReycleBill. I had a question about batteries. I have the kickstart and don't plan on putting an electric start on it. Do I need a battery on my bike? My dad was telling me all I need is a kill switch to turn it off after it's cranked. But, I'm a bit confused as to how the lights will work without a battery. If anyone has the answer, please let me know.

On xs650's you DO need a battery. Your dad is almost right, but the xs650 needs a battery to power the electromagnet in the alternator.

Some people in fact do replace that electromagnet with a permanent magnet, but that's not how the bike comes.

Once the bike is running, the alternator creates power from the engine's mechanical motion.

Thats why i purchased a 80 special for $200 dollars!!!! with only 3000 original miles. The junk yard that had just purchased the bike from the original owner thought you could kick it like a dirt bike and get spark!!! junkyard purchased the bike for 100 dollars and I purchased the bike 2 days later because his mechanics could not get the bike to fire. moral of the story is that yes you need an initial power source. good luck with your bike I just bought my first one a year ago and I have learned so much from this site its ridiculous!!!! make sure you use the search engine on this site first to answer any of your questions, if you cant find the answer then ask. I promise you most of the questions you will ask have already been asked and are easily found by using the search option, I learned that lesson real quick!!! welcome to the forum, this site is loaded with alot of knowledge.

Back