Any of you guys have a Quad ?

Bob Kelly III

Ranch Kid from way back,.... that got Old !
Reaction score
It seams I have a project ... My Father in Law's TRX450FE Fourtrax Foreman Quad ...won't start...so I offered to haul it home and fix it for him....and he jumped at the chance.....
so we Muscled it into the truck and I tied it down real good and off I went....
However what I thought would be a simple task of getting an Online manual for it hasn't turned out so simple... all the places that a Google search turned up want to sell the PDF files ! ....which is absurd !
if i was going to Buy a manual I'ed buy a paper back ! and I could take it to the shop with me !
any way.... do any of you know where I can get a FREE ONLINE manual for this thing ?
like the one I got for the XS650 ? Perhaps ????
....I havn't got it off the truck yet but already charged the battery , and tried to figure out why the electric start wasn't working....
it seams it's getting power but nothing is happening... I pulled off the rt. cover that hides the starter
and everything looked ship shape.... the relay clicks but nothing happens in the starter... so I pushed the starter button and thumped the starter with my wrench and it tried to spin rattle and clank and then nothing... thumped it a few more times but never got the same reaction again...
so the starter needs to come off
.... this is a strange beastie... and I really don't want to tear into it without a manual of some sort...
I do have the Owners manual but it has nothing on the internals... i.e. take it to your dealer !
it does have a Pull starter that works, so tomorrow I will check spark and fuel and see if I can get it to run with the Pull rope.... but sense Steve is in his 80's I really would like to get the electric starter working for him..... as with everything they own it's practically brand new ..... but it sat for 2 years because the battery died ! he bought a new battery recently for it and tried to get it to run but no go !..... I think it's not getting fuel but I haven't heard a single pop out of it yet....we'll see tomorrow!
...... any help is appreciated
Bob........

Fixed up a high time quad fo my bro in law. The mitsubishi starter brushes were worn out, found a replacement brush plate on line for cheap, brrm, brrrm. Hint about all the mitsu starters are the same, EXCEPT for rotation direction. gotta find a plate that spins the starter the correct direction.

Kool ! good info there Gary thank you !
....this thing is a Nightmare ! from what I was reading it's CPU thingie the Box that controls EVERYTHING... puts out Error codes like a car does !
OMG ! I took one quick look at the carb it is a CV type ( i think but it has electrical gizmos hanging off the side of it in 2 places and heavens knows what safety switches all over the place....
I did find out that the starter will not work unless it's in neutral ( par for the course any more) and that it has push button gear change !

and what I thought was a push button drain for the carb is the primer for really cold weather ! LOL....
My Dad had one that was a 4x4 as well and that thing could go darn good in the snow as I was delighted and surprised to find out !
the tranny and clutch arrangement on it must really be an interesting design ! .... but I prefer to have the clutch operated by the left handle bar lever.... that is the back brake and reverse mechanism on this thing !!!! dunno why they think you need 2 back brakes but this thing has it !
LOL.... it's almost as heavy as my XS650 ! but so big and cumbersome its hard to work on.... and it's covered in plastic... you can barely see the
motor there is so much plastic on it ! HA !!!!! .... but it can haul heavy stuff around... no doubt it'a a workhorse !
I figured brushes on the starter.... question is what will fall into the engine if I pull the starter out ! LOL probably the sprocket and chain
so I need to proceed very cautiously !!!!!!LOL
thanks fer the tip Gary !
Bob......

There we GO ! thank you weekendrider !
I followed your link and poked the down load button and it started immediately ! Fantastic ! thank you Very much !
I got reading to do Now !
Bob.........

That's JUST WHAT I NEEDED !..... thank you .....
been reading all night Ugh ! ....time fer bed ! LOL
Bob......

OK.... I worked all day on that Beastie ! but got it going half way decent now.
and Gary the starter brushes were Frozen in place !!!!!! the brush holders were swollen with rust ! ...
I finally got them out without breaking them and took my file and filed them down a bit and cleaned up the holders as best I could
... the Black plastic inner brush bolt holder was in a dozen pieces... I think it broke when I tried to get the cable off....
so I made a plastic insulator from a bucket lid.... knowing my luck it will melt but it's working now ....
I need a piece of plastic that can withstand higher temperatures.... but I just couldn't think of any !
anyway, got it lubed and all back together and tested it before putting it on....it works great now.
the Carb's float needle valve was Stuck ! is what the problem was.....
I blasted everything with carb cleaner and tried to clean it up.... the best I could.... the Prime plunger wasn't working very good so I fiddled with that till it started squirting better.... there is no way to adjust the float height on that carb at all.... strange...never seen that before !
.... but i turn on the key and hit the starter button and it doesn't make a full revolution and it's running
..... mid range seams a bit lean though popping and back firing a little.... I tried the O'l farmers trick of slapping the hand over the carb a few times and that seamed to help allot..... guess I should have tore the carb completely down but I was getting tired by then ...
I'll put some gas in it and take it out for a good ride and see if it needs more attention. LOL
.....but so far so good !
.....Bob.....

I rode down to the river today and a guy came along riding a 4-wheeler and went down to the second bank and then the first bank and then out on some rocks in the river. I was a little envious. But not a lot.

LOL Yah this 4X4 Quad seams to have the power and gearing to go anywhere I'ed have the balls to take it ! I am impressed
I'm sure it could pull my truck out of the mud !
i love the starting now.... key on and just touch the button and it's running ! that's how it should be ! LOL
I think my earlier complaint has gone away.... or I just didn't have it warmed up enough
the manual says start the engine and let it idle for 10 minutes... then do something... 10 minutes ! My god that would cook my XS650 !
3 minutes and it's plenty warm even on a cold day !
.... and according to the manual it has a thermostatically controlled Cooling fan in front of the engine too ...so I guess you can leave it running while you fix the bob wire fence and chase the cows around ! ..... it's the perfect Ranch machine ! Why didn't I ever have one of these ????
LOL
Bob.......

Back