Any tips on bracket removal???

jbgore

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My son is getting his frame ready to install his David Bird hardtail. One of the many pieces that has to come off is the bracket on the bend of the backbone that held the top two support tubes - see picture. Any tips on a good way to remove this bracket? Obviously, we need to be careful and not cut into the backbone itself. Just thought someone might have figured out a semi-effective way to get this thing off.
David, if you happen to read this, I'd love to hear how you remove them.
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG00019-20101230-1234.jpg
    IMG00019-20101230-1234.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 113
Grinder is about the only way I can think of. I would just grind off your stub and leave the bracket there. Shorten up the hard tail kit just a hair.

The bracket doesnt appear to be welded solid all the way around so I would use a small cutoff wheel and very carefully cut through the bracket where its not welded to the frame. Once the bracket is removed you can use a small air grinder to grind the remaining welds till they are flush with the frame. It will be time consuming I assure you. You just cant rush something like this...........BG

4 1/2" angle grinder. Use the cutoff wheel to cut though the plates along the insides of the 3 welds. You need to cut on both sides of the center weld so you'll have 4 slots. Just make sure you don't go too deep. Take a chisel and pound the plates way from the frame to remove them completely. Then use the grinding wheel to remove 95% of the welds that are remaining. After that clean it up with a flap disk or a hand file. If you cut to deep with the cutoff, weld over the cut and grind it down again.

4 1/2" angle grinder. Use the cutoff wheel to cut though the plates along the insides of the 3 welds. You need to cut on both sides of the center weld so you'll have 4 slots. Just make sure you don't go too deep. Take a chisel and pound the plates way from the frame to remove them completely. Then use the grinding wheel to remove 95% of the welds that are remaining. After that clean it up with a flap disk or a hand file. If you cut to deep with the cutoff, weld over the cut and grind it down again.

Well, at least one person knows what the hell they're talking about. DO NOT use a fucking grinding wheel to remove the last of the steel. You'll just end up with a screwed up, gouged backbone. Remove the sleeve. Flap disk, flap disk, flap disk. Nuff said.

Thanks all. I pretty much did it exactly as Travis suggested. Cut inside the welds on either side and in the middle with angle grinder - cut, check, cut, check.....to make sure not to cut too deep. Was then able to pull the two sides off independently. I'll grind of the high spots of the leftover weld with a grinding wheel without getting too greedy, then finish off with the magic flap disc.
I told my son that I hope that cutting off and cleaning up brackets turns out to be the least fun part of these projects. Can't say that I'll be sorry when this part is complete.
Thanks again.

looks like i am a little late posting, but i use a die grinder with a 1/32" cut off wheel and cut thru the welds at an angle into the part that is coming off, almost all the way thru and then use a chisel and brake thru the rest. then clean up with a flap disc. hope this helps for next time. david bird

Back