Anyone in eastern Iowa or close?

mseriously

Newb
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there is anyone in this neck of the woods that would be willing to help me finish my bike...I'd pay someone if that's what it came down to, but I just want and need to get this thing running by summer. I've done everything else and am down to coming up with a basic wiring system, hooking up the controls (brakes, clutch, fuel) and then firing it up to see if it will run.

I have the Pamco ignition just waiting...extra carbs for parts. EVERYTHING IS THERE. Just got off track with my 1 year old...don't have as much time to troubleshoot and tinker.

Anyone with some suggestions or can point me in the right way, let me know. Thanks.

Thanks for the quick response guys...I'm in SE Iowa, specifically NE Cedar Rapids. Here's a quick picture of the bike.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Might have to call that shop in Des Moines? Or maybe Jayel has a suggestion?

I'm tinkering with the idea of just making my own SIMPLE wiring harness. I just don't want to fry my Pamco I just bought or much less anything else...I've already come this far being a total newb. Figured I could pay someone to help me who knows, or pay to have it done so I can study the finished product.

I'm already positive this won't be my first and last XS 650:):D

If you live in Cedar Rapids, have you checked into Pazour Motor Sports? Tim an his father have been inside numerous XS650's (once upon a time they were the Kawasaki/Yamaha/Triumph dealer) and have one "750cc hotrod" sitting on their floor that Bob put together. Good Luck!

If you live in Cedar Rapids, have you checked into Pazour Motor Sports? Tim an his father have been inside numerous XS650's (once upon a time they were the Kawasaki/Yamaha/Triumph dealer) and have one "750cc hotrod" sitting on their floor that Bob put together. Good Luck!

I actually had them do the top end of my bike...

I guess I'm hesitant to go to them because the bike is literally naked at this point and wiring would be from the ground up.

Long story short, Tim was an asshole to me when I took my motor in and didn't have the oil drained yet. I didn't drain it because I thought he might want to look at it to see if there were any shavings/etc. and I didn't have a garage to drain it myself at the time. Basically, I didn't know and have never overhauled an engine. He threw a fit. Should've just taken my engine home, but I gave him the benefit of a doubt and just assumed he'd had a bad day or something.

Turned out there was a bent valve and they went over the top end and a few other things. We'll see how it runs when I get it going...

I've decided to just gut it out and see if I can get it running myself. Every free moment of time I'll just have to dedicate to the motorcycle instead...

If I had a one year old, I think I wouldn't ride. But I think you could get what you have there running pretty quickly. I would get a new stock harness and get whatever lights and signals I wanted. Probably quicker to modify a stock harness than make one from scratch, unless you've done it before, and you have a good source for connectors, etc. Unless you want absolutely bare bones.

I decided to just go ahead and see what I can get done myself. I have the bike set up as far as how it will look, now I need to weed out what parts I don't want and sell them...like the instrument cluster, exhaust headers, maybe the seat, signals, etc.

So expect a bunch of stuff for sale here the next few days...should help me with buying the few odds and ends I need to get it running. Thanks for the input guys...

Motorcycle003.jpg

Wiring a bike as simple as you want won't take long. The most important part is the charging system. If it won't charge the battery, it won't run long.
There are many diagrams out there. I like this one It's about as minimal as you can get and if you want more just add it.

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 175
I'm going through the stock harness as we speak seeing if I can re-use anything. It had charging issues when I bought it. Had to run it on a charger the night before to get it started. I changed the brushes and got a rewound alternator. The alternator on it wasn't testing out. Should I re-use the stock rectifier and regulator? Should I build my own ala Pamco Pete? I'm not too bad with soldering...would it be worth buying brand new?

I eventually want to get a PMA set up going...but want to get it on the road first and shake down the gremlins.

i really like your bike man. what are you going to use for a headlight and tail? maybe try using the regulator and rectifier you've got and see what happens, those little bastards are expensive new. i'm doing the wiring on mine right now too, it sucks. i'm using the diagram that xsleo posted above minus the dummy lights & using the starter button for my horn.
good luck, go hawkeyes.

Being a 75 the regulator is a mechanical unit. It can be adjusted for correct output. Even when new being mechanical it had a hard time keeping the battery charged right. Set it to not over charge and boil the battery when on the highway, it couldn't keep the battery charged when around town. Not using the electric starter helps some.
I would do the Chrysler reg mod. Not hard to do, I did and it's great.
The reg I used was $13.99 when I did it. I think the price now is $17.99. This reg takes the three nylon screws and a tiny bit of a rewire to work.
On the recifier, it will probably be ok. The way they were made, using selinium are not as efficient as the Radio Shack rectifiers. For $6.58 in parts and a few more for wire, the aluminum plate and a bit of time you will have a much better rectifier.
I also put a volt meter on the risers to moniter the voltage and at idle it runs 13-13.5 volts, anything much above idle and it comes up to 14.5 volts and never goes over.
If your stock reg and rec work I would at least add the voltmeter. It will tell you if and when the charging system quits. And give a good chance of getting home before the battery dies.
Have you gone thru Curly's charging guide? Check through the links in the tech section.
Your bike does look good. I think the black with the gold and white striping was the best looking paint scheme they ever used.
I think the pipes you have on there look ok, I just don't like the way they work. Harder to tune for, moves the usable power and torque to high in the power band.
A good set of 1.5 head pipes and decent mufflers will per form much better and the sound might not be as loud but still have a nice rumble.
I see you have just 14 posts. If I didn't welcome you to our little corner of the asylum then Welcome to the world of the XS650.
Leo

Thanks for the input XSLeo, same to you Carter. I think I might wire it up best I can and do some testing at that point. If not, I'll probably go the Radioshack route. I've read the tech sections on building those at 650garage.

I will definitely have to check out Curly's guide too...you guys gave me the juice to get back into getting this finished. Thanks.

Still watching your build too Carter724...I'm thinking about modifying my seat and tail, might not be like yours but maybe similar...probably just end up making a different seat pan (brat-ish) style.

Even just a few minutes at a time gets you further along. And the time spent is well worth it. Every time you get a victory over the gremlins is great.
Leo

i agree w/ leo on the paint scheme, classic. i personally like the factory seat on your bike enough that i would ride it as is for a while, thats just me. i've spent a LOT of time on my seat mod, but it makes my bike look much better than it did (mine started with a gnarly looking step up seat). yours looks great the way it is, but a brat seat would look nice too.

[/URL][/IMG][/URL][/IMG]
9-28-13148.jpg

Long time since an update, but, I've moved a bit forward. Weston at Counterbalance made me a seat and it kicks ass. I cut and hung the rear fender, took a few tries. But, this is good progress. Any you guys want this style of seat, get a hold of Weston. They are worth it.

Now I keep plugging away on the list...PMA, hydraulic clutch, from Hugh and install the Pamco and wire it up. Brakes need sorted,etc...still lots of bits and pieces.

Attachments

• 9-28-13150.jpg
    9-28-13150.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 9-28-13151.jpg
    9-28-13151.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 3
Back