Batteries in parallel?

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
Anybody ever try running two smaller 12v batteries in parallel so they fit in limited space before? Looking to keep my starter.

Was in batteries plus and they had these:
Xtax4l-bs, 50 cca 4.5 W x 2 13/16 D x 3 3/8 H

I think these would fit unside that lower brace just above the swingarm if I mounted them in parallel? Still have to measure though. My current batter won't fit there.

I wish they made something flat like computer batteries.

I don't think they'll be powerful enough for the e-start. Could be wrong about that though. Maybe if you go with a pamco ignition (works even with low voltage) it could work. You might get a few good cranks out of those batteries until you're stuck kicking it again. So if your bike starts right away every time, maybe they'll work for you.

I got my '77 started (stock elec) with a very old 9.6v cordless drill battery. I imagine that 100ccv would work. I'm thinking that kicking it a few times to build charge if needed then hitting the starter it it don't start. Its my wifes bike so I just want her to be able to start it easier.

Maybe it will work, give it a go and let us know! :thumbsup:

Also, I think it'll be the other way around.. if the batteries die, you'll be kicking it to start it, not kicking it to charge up the battery. That would take a lot of kicks!

gentlemanjim,

No. Parallel doubles the available current (amps) but the voltage stays the same. Series doubles the voltage but the available current (Amps) stays the same.

Think about your flashlight with 2 D's in series. Each cell is 1.5 volts, but the lamp is a 3V lamp.

The stock 14AH battery has over 200 CCA and even it has trouble sometimes starting the engine. Those two batteries in parallel would yield 100 CCA. You may have trouble starting with points or TCI.

Pete is right, parallel power sources leave the voltage the same. Just think about batteries in a flashlight. The reason the 1.5 cells are stacked ( series ) is to increase the voltage.

I'm still doubtful. Isn't parrllel when you attach the + terminal from batter to the - terminal of the other leaving on + and - to power your device? Making two 12 volts into a 24 volt. Put a volt meter on one, two or three drycell flashlight batteries and all you get is 1.5 volts.

Shoot me if I wrong.

What you are talking about is series wiring. What kind of gun would you like?

Parallel is running all the positives together, all the negatives together.

Series is Positive to positive, negative to positive, and negative back to negative (if using two batteries).

Did that make since?

EDIT-
Here you go, this will help.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-24.htm

What you are talking about is series wiring. What kind of gun would you like?

Parallel is running all the positives together, all the negatives together.

Series is Positive to positive, negative to positive, and negative back to negative (if using two batteries).

Did that make since?
I guess be gentle 9mm is fairly effective - thanks for clearing that up.

You can get really jiggy and put two in parallel and put two more in parallel, four total, then connect those two pairs in series, giving twice the current and twice voltage both. Power baby!

P.S. I suggest .25 ACP. Been known to just bounce off.

Last edited:
Back