Bike wont idle with no choke!

luke

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Ive just finished my first build and would love to take it on a long ride but I cant get it to idle right at all. Ive cleaned every jet on the carbs along with the idle mixture screw and have them both turned out 3 turns.

I did change to a pod filter setup but i would think that i could get the bike to idle without rejetting. I guess I need more fuel.....(will idle at half choke just high rpms)

What happens if you tap the choke in to just where the rpms start to drop, and then turn in the idle speed screw?

With the pilot jets removed, did you blow carb cleaner through their mounting holes and watch for it to exit out the 4 tiny holes in the main bore?

I havent tried that exact technique yet with the choke but i will and im going to take them apart again today and ill blow out the mountig holes for the pilot jets..thanks!

When it's apart you can cover the hole the pilot jet was in and shoot cleaner down the mixture screw hole to help clean the tiny holes 5twins referred to.

Yes, it helps to work the cleaner through from both directions. The hole into the main bore for the mix screw is directly below it. After you insure it's clear, block it with your finger and the cleaner will be forced through the passageway back to the pilot jet hole.

OutletHoles.jpg

While we are at it: You should blow from the jet in the intake bell to the pilot jet as well.
Uh what year or which carbys?

so with the pilot jets out compressed air blown through the hole and carb cleaner as well it seems to be ok....gonna try another go at it now...

I got it it seemed to idle great almost insantly..def have to work some bugs out but it was great took it for a little ride and was pleased.

Im sure ill have to rejet it seemed to bog until about 3k..

Also when I got home i noticed my headlight and tail were very dim and I just went out to the garage and turned the key to find them bright again...WTF!!!

hi guys i would have said that it was clogged jets,,,, they are easy to clean pull out the diaphrams drop the bowl off the rinse them thoroughly in 98% unleaded blow them out ,,do that a couple of times ,, also check you needle height ,,, regards oldbiker

Sounds like the charging system needs a going over. Check the voltage, bike off, at idle and 2500 rpm. Tell us what you find. How old is the battery?
If the voltage is low it won't run right. The TCI is very voltage sensitive.
One bigger on the jets may help.

Its a brand new battery from Mikes..Im going to attack the charging system in the Am..

First thing to check is the wiring connections, then the brushes. Quite often the brushes get to short. Next would be rotor ohms. Then on to the stator, regulator and rectifier.
Keep us posted on what you find and we'll try to help.
Over at the Garage they have a trouble shooting thread. Titled "Curly's Charging System Troubleshooting Guide". A very good guide, follow the steps.

Back