BSA stuff. Not the new one.

Lucas_Wiring_Harness_Smoke_Refill.jpg

...and for those of you who've never worked on a Brit bike... the smoke goes here. Jus' lookin' at it, you'd be fooled into thinkin' it's just another capacitor. Jus' look for the one with a schrader valve on it. Don't forget to replace the cap, or it'll jus' leak right back out....

Untitled.png

Sweet Triton MM! Nice job on the wiring.
This BSA runs. A little anyway. I put some fuel line on the carbs and injected some gasoline in there and she will run for a bit. She's clean and lubed up. Just waiting for petcock repair parts to get her on the road.

Well the test ride went well enough. She runs good once she's moving. Tick over is still questionable. The brakes are rubbish. The engine is a tractor with more off idle grunt than any XS I've owned.
Still a problem with the left carburetor. I took it off and cleaned it again. I think there is something going on with the throttle cables. The left carb seems to be unresponsive the idle speed adjuster screw. I think the slide is not returning to the fully closed position. More investigation tomorrow.

I've always wondered just how much similarity there actually is between Yamaha's engine and BSA's final twin.
Yes, obviously there are very major differences in construction, the OHC, and more importantly the horrizontal split cases and all built up crank with forged steel rods.
But both engines share exactly the same bore and stroke.
I wonder how different the valve angles, valve head sizes, and port shapes are ?
Remember that just before the XS1 was designed, BSA's A65 Spitfire was the fastest 650 twin you could buy (at least until it blew up) not the legendary Triumph Bonneville

The left carburetor is still not cooperating on the idle circuit. I happened to have another and tried it out. Put, put, put....nice tick over. Can't let go of that carburetor though as a friend has dibs on it for his Thunderbolt.
The original carb is still soaking. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Test ride tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Looks like a fine Motorcycle
Not seen one with a brown saddle or with exposed front fork springs ( Rubber covers )
The headlamp has a " Gangster Cap " ( perhaps not what you call them ) uncommon perhaps non stock
And the tank emblem that perhaps is difficult to find
But still looks like a fine motorcycle --- finer than the few I have seen early 70 ies

Back