Cam Seal Leaking... still

I had no leak until I did the top-end refresh. So, I caused the issue. Everything is better if you don't let the mechanic touch it. I know this on both the grand and very personal scale.
;)
When I bought my Water Buffalo I asked the previous owner (a mechanic who repairs vintage cars and bikes) if he had checked certain things like compression, timing, points gap, carb sync etc. To all of this he replied no and said it ran great, so he didn’t mess with anything.

I’m quite the opposite. I have to take everything apart and check it. This is the points assembly on the Suzuki that was “never checked”. Before (looked worse than pic show) and after. I’ve unearthed many other gremlins because of my curious nature. Mind you, all of this is costing me money and time but will ultimately give me peace of mind while riding the bike.

0B150146-23A9-4167-A3A8-45D960BC4E78.jpeg
0C01C727-ECC8-47C9-B7FE-ACD45ACE1FDA.jpeg

I'm with you, bosco. Preventative maintenance keeps gremlins and a world of hurt away, especially from old bikes. I could tell some rally stories: a Triumph 650 brought on a ride with a slipping clutch and a center stand hanging loose on one side, an XS650 with a bad ignition switch preventing complete combustion, and a couple of XS650s with bad advance governors popping carbies out of boots when the owners had set timing right in the advanced mode and didn't check idle timing, leaving the points to open almost at TDC at idle. But I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone, all but one of the owners are members here!

Good luck sealing that seep, Marty. Everything I know to do has already been tried or suggested.

@jetmechmarty
Hey Marty I'm working on Madness getting ready for Ozarks and looks like at least one seal might have been just sitting inside the cover, and the three cover screws were um, not so tight LOL.
Those generic 25x40x5 still holding up?
Can't believe I don't have any here.......... hmm one more place to go look.
Will check at the local bearing house tomorrow.

Back