Chains and sprokets

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
Bike = 1980 S models chopped into a lowered bratstyle bobber with the 16" wheel. Bike sat for 14 years and has 17k on it.

A couple of questions:
1. How long does a stock chain last?

2. How do you know if your front and rear sprockets are still good?

3. Are Volar chains any good (seen them for cheap)? What are some good brands of Chains

4. Stay 530 or convert to 520? Any bene's for the 520 other than weight.

5. The bike is my wife's...finished the bike should be less than 400lbs, rider less than 150lbs geared up. What sproket chain combination is going to work best for the occasional freeway ride 75mph but most of the riding will be around 40-60mph.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Carefully inspect the sprocket teeth for wear. You want a uniform "U" shape between the teeth and not a "fish hook" appearance like so .....

WornSprocket.jpg

A sprocket wears one side of the tooth, the side that gets pulled against by the chain. Some flip the sprocket to get more life out of it but frankly, for what they cost, I just replace them.

If you have a 16" rear wheel, a 17-32 is a nice set-up, 17-33 if you have an 18" wheel. You have to realize we're only dealing with about a 50HP machine here. Gear it really high (like 18-30) and that will kill low speed performance and you won't be able to pull redline in 5th.

Being that this isn't some 100HP superbike, I don't think an expensive o-ring chain is needed. I just run a standard style chain. D.I.D. is supposed to be one of the best, about $40. Currently I have a $20 JCWhitney one on there and am quite happy with it. I would stick with the 530, they last longer.

you could go 520 easy.....i switched to a 520 xring from 525 on my 999 and thats 130hp/78tq.

A good brand name 520 non oring would be fine on an XS.

i have a 74, have 31 on the back and i don't do a ton of highway driving. definetly going back to a 32 or 33.

I'd not flip that one either 5t. Some sprockets aren't worn so much but still should have a new wear surface for a new chain. Flipping gives that new surface.

That depends where the bike was sitting and if was wore out to begin with. Chain doesn't wear from sitting, The odds 50 50 good or bad. Hoped this helped

Would a 520 Chain and sproket set bring the chain in toward center any? 10mm vs the 530? It would help with some tight clearances I have.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the 520 refers to the width, not how tall it is.

I need extra clearence widthwise. Rebel shocks end up very close to the stock 530 chain. Not much room for the chain guard.

Here is a EXcell spreadsheet that give you the RPM vs MPH for all combinaiotns of wheels, gears and sprockets. Migh help you decide on the sprockets you need.

RPM vs MPH

I think xsjohn had it right on the money with his 18/29 gearing setup. I currently run 18/30 with 530 RK x-ring chain. Do you lose some power with this gearing.....yes you do but the bike has plenty to spare for my needs. I never pulled redline with the stock gears and no need to now. Ride your bike at 40-45mph with the stock gears and feel how smooth it is. Thats what 55-60 mph feels like with the taller gears. If I need a little extra power for some reason I just drop down a gear for a minute..no big deal. I would never go back to stock gears and would go to a 29 rear if I could find one at a reasonable price. The x-ring was more expensive than standard chains at about $90 but they are suppose to last much longer, not stretch as much and need less lubrication. My rear wheel has stayed clean all summer, never had that before.

If you go too far on gearing it gets a lot harder to launch, and parking lot speeds involve lots of clutch slipping. Don't know your wife, but for less experienced riders 17 33 or 34 might be best for easier low speed stuff.....

Other signs of a a worn or dead chain are a lot of sideways bend when pushed (worn pins/rollers) and kinked links that don't straighten easily.

Safe is a good thing when the wife is concerned. I just finished my one-off caliper mod today...added a 4 piston caliper to help with stopping power.

I'm going to replace the chain no matter what. I'm thinking a 520 chain so its a little narrower to give some added room to the Rebel shocks. Before I decided on the sprokets I also gotta figure out what setup is going to leave the axel adjusters near the midpoint since its going to affect my room for electronics. At the moment I've got it setup so everything (including the battery) fits within that little triangle made by the braces and backbone just above the swingarm. Tight quarters.

Back