Charging system spontaneously not working

Well, this battery may be toast. Initially, the charging system numbers were normal, but when I brought the bike home after about 20 minutes, they were low again. Meh.

I might be selling soon... really handsome '73 mild cafe roadster with a lot of potential, but maybe I'm not the right person to develop it. Just getting tired, and frankly not really having fun any more. Maybe it's time to say when.

TC

Hi, all...

Sunny Sunday - though very hot - so I decided to take the TX out to see if my new battery held a charge. I just sort of roared around locally for about half an hour, trying to spend some time at about 45-50 mph on secondary roads and reversing direction by going through neighborhoods. Little kids, teens and some adult males love me. Most others, maybe not so much.

Anyway, the bike fires on the first hot kick. Before it's warm, just off the choke, there was a little bit of stumbling off idle, but that was likely because I might have taken it off the choke too early, or because the pilot circuit might be a little dirty from sitting too much. That seemed to go away as the engine warmed, within a few minutes. I have some Seafoam in there too.

The bike seemed to run really well. Even shifting and dropping into first was better today... not sure why. Out on the road, the charging system does seem to be generating normal numbers on the volt gauge. And the bike seems to idle more stably now... I'm shooting for around 1200. At this point, I think that any shortcomings the bike has in terms of the way it runs could be timing or valve settings; I did the timing with a light when I installed the PAMCO last season, and I think I did it right, but wouldn't bet on it. And I still have not done the valves because I really do want help with that.

Also, once I got home, I shut the bike down from idle, let it sit a minute, and it started right back up, first kick.

Question though:

One thing I noticed is that the charging system will seem fine out on the road. But when I bring the bike in the yard and let it idle for a minute or so - take my helmet/gear off and the like - the volt gauge will be a little slow to respond when I crack the throttle or bring the bike up to 3 grand or so. But the more I do that, the more normal the numbers appear.

So, I have a theory that these mechanical charging systems (unlike modern/solid state/computerized ones) might need a little time to recognize what you're doing with the throttle after they idle for a bit, and are then asked to resume their duties. In truth, I think I may have, out of ignorance, assumed that this behavior was a charging system fault, when in fact there may be a brief "lag time" because it is basically a mechanical system. I love RG's idea of running a volt gauge, but boy, I watch that thing like a hawk and worry about it a lot, hopefully without need.

Does this make sense? Please say yes.

So, today at least, I'm keeping the bike. Still don't trust her or myself.

Current mood: Cautiously optimistic

TC

TeeCat,

With the bike just sitting at idle, the battery runs down, so when you blip the throttle it's not going to jump up to much over 13 volts until the battery has recharged, so the more you blip the throttle, the more the volts respond as the battery is getting back to a charged condition.

Sounds like you have it working now. Time for some longer confidence building rides.

Leo, I do believe I'm getting there! :) Just don't want to make any rash pronouncements because you know how that can go!

Yup, I plan to gradually increase my radius... well, my rides' radius... not mine. Still like to have someone who really knows their stuff put a good tune on the bike and see how close I am.

Wonder if I should pick up towing on my insurance rider, though?! Or how's AARP feel about senior motorcyclists? Never thought I'd use that term to describe myself...

TC

Last edited:
TeeCat,

I think I suggested this some time ago, but,

1. Run the plus side of the coil and the PAMCO down under the seat and back.
2. Install a fuse in this wire under the seat.
3. Install another fuse holder connected to the plus terminal on the battery that goes nowhere.

If your mystery short reappears, you can just lift the seat and connect the coil/PAMCO to the battery by switching it to the fuse from the battery. Kick it and ride home.

4. Arrange the fuse holders so they are complimentary.
5. Leave the kill switch off when you use this emergency system.

Pete, you did suggest it, and I actually plan on doing it. However, I may have more questions when I actually do it. For instance, would I be coming off the PAMCO or off the coil? Been a while since I looked at that wiring.

Also, I'll lay odds that you're a left brain science guy. I'm a right brain liberal arts (visual) type. You may have to draw me a picture. An' I ain't jus' buuuuuuuuuuuuuul-sh*ttin'. :p I ain't dumb, 'zackly... jus' not real smart dat'a way. :p

I really appreciate your help, I do! :)

TC

TeeCat,

Well, I did read the book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Dr. Betty Edwards , and I remember when my brain actually switched sides. I drew a great line drawing of my left hand, and I briefly experienced an artist's world where time stands still and everything is relevant. Beautiful.

But, back to reality.

It might be easier to think of running the red/white wire down to the fuse under the seat and back up to the terminal of the coil that also has the red wire from the PAMCO attached?

I also flew airplanes for 30+ years in instrument conditions and you have to be able to draw a mental picture of your situation, both horizontally and vertically. It's called "situational awareness" and I must have been good at it because I'm still breathing, so I think that if I had ever pursued art, I may have been good at it.

I know a number of pilots who are very good artists, and I think that their skill was sharpened by the need to always be able to mentally draw a picture of your situation.

Science eventually fails us. The engine quits. The radios are just noise. The fuel disappears. In my experience, the more imaginative person will survive. The real pilots of yore had a classic Liberal Arts education. They learned the mechanics of flying an airplane, but the decision making was more art than science.

Today, with GPS and the gee whiz stuff in the glass cockpit, pilots don't need have to have a lot of imagination. Think about that on your next flight.

Last edited:
Back