Cloth insulation tape.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
A while back I made two wiring harnesses, one for ignition, the other for lights. I wrapped both up in plastic insulation tape, not an easy job keeping the cables straight and in the same order for the harness length. I managed that reasonably well, but after wrapping the harnesses were s tiff as a board and twisted.

This morning some cloth insulation tape arrived, so I cut the old plastic stuff off and wrapped both harnesses in the cloth tape, boy what a difference. The harnesses are now quite straight, pliable and easier to thread through the frame. Big improvement. Good stuff this cloth insulation tape.

Tomorrow I'll solder on some more terminals for the rear end, shorten a couple of leads and hook everything up.

Attachments

• WIN_20221024_15_00_32_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20221024_15_00_32_Pro.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 65
  • WIN_20221024_16_46_29_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20221024_16_46_29_Pro.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 69
+1 ON THE CLOTH TAPE! I recently used it while making my harness too. I also like the fact if you need to get back inside the harness, it isn't all gummy like the the original stuff gets.

if you need to get back inside the harness, it isn't all gummy like the the original stuff gets.

Available both with and without adhesive? Discuss the difference/advantages?
The makers of the adhesive style seem to be saying once applied it's stuck for eternity.

I have the adhesive style. Mind you I did not wrap my entire harness like Toggle did. I used a split loom chord protector on most of mine and used the tape at the ends and intermittently to keep the loom closed. I have been successful in pulling it apart but often times did have to cut it apart.
6DA17562-7A93-422F-A30D-AA118E6CB369.jpeg

Talk about this cloth tape reminded me of the wiring harness on my old Bridgestone 60, yea the tire company used to make motorcycles. For get what I had to do to that harness but recall it was all wrapped with non-adhesive plastic tape. I recall it was easy to unwrap and make repairs then rewrap so it looked like new.

The lack of adhesive would let the layers of wrap move just enough to have it stay flexible.

Available both with and without adhesive? Discuss the difference/advantages?
I've used the non adhesive type of tape. You need to pull it reasonably tight when applying i.e. stretch it a little, so that it beds down onto the cables.
Once on it seems a little more flexible then the sticky type, I assume that's because each 'winding' can move a little relative to the other. It also makes going back into the loom easier as you don't have to remove sticky tape.
Getting started can be challenging as you need to keep the tension on where you start - an extra pair of hands is an advantage here.
I also top and tail with some heat shrink to make sure it stays in place.

I remember black cloth tape from when I was a kid and it was mainstream. Wire insulation varies a lot in its ability to withstand the environment. Some will start breaking down after a few years of heat, cold, and water, intended for indoor use I suppose.

I have the adhesive style. Mind you I did not wrap my entire harness like Toggle did. I used a split loom chord protector on most of mine and used the tape at the ends and intermittently to keep the loom closed. I have been successful in pulling it apart but often times did have to cut it apart.
View attachment 228249
I did the same on my build and it works a treat.

The sticky stuff isn't ais sticky as good quality plastic insulation tape, so easy enough to remove.. One thing I did find was the glue left on the cables after unwrapping the plastic insulation tape actually helped in keeping the cables in place when rewrapping in cloth tape. It is a bugger of a job though, keeping the cable runs straight and stopping them from twisting, the left over glue helped here. It is hard to see where the tape ends though.

33 conforms well but I noticed some spiraling off inside my headlight shell the other day. Something I found out about on here is self sealing tape. I used it to wrap the wires that go from the generator around the shifter shaft because it's impervious to oil and seals out water. The sleeve was gone and all that was left was cloth insulation, if I remember right. Stuff is like magic the way it sticks to itself. Makes a pretty solid covering.

Back