Anyone have a source for LH cover gaskets?

Usually only trouble there if the mounting points or the sprocket guard on the shift shaft are loose missing or otherwise fuggled. I have found broken and "fixed" wires in that bundle several times. That is one nasty area for wires to live in. I guess if the sheath is cracked or shows sings of a bend becoming a "kink" it's time to open it up and check the inner wires. I recall one with the inner insulation intact but the strands broke inside the wire causing an intermittent problem. That took a while to chase down.
I guess I like a gasket on there as Yo-mama intended, just hate paying $10 for one gasket when a complete engine set is like $40. I found I had to trim an athena gasket because it was hitting the clutch work mechanism.

Last edited:
Is Athena the aqua-colored gasket that Mike's sells? I actually got one of those for the LH cover years ago, if so. It was very thin, and after it cooked awhile with oil it got literally as fragile as an eggshell.

The cloth wiring, I was thinking really of the wires that come from the EI pickup. A replacement I got had the sheath removed, and I wrapped it with tape, which lasted a long time but now oil is finally making the tape let go and there is bare cloth under there. I could get a heat shrink tube and make a new sheath, which would work if it didn't melt, but that would mean getting the connector off and on which will be a medium to large hassle for something that might not work.

You wondered about the back screw having issues without a gasket. I doubt it would matter as that screw is pretty much in the center of the cover, not near an edge. The opposite one, at the very front of the cover, is another matter. If part of the gasket breaks off up there, you can have problems .....

Zr69qf5.jpg

NdGvV1L.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch wonder if that crack was from some PO prying a stuck cover off without slowly working both pins free?

I wondered myself if I had just never noticed it before, but looking at pics from 6 or 7 years back, before the gasket section came off, no it wasn't cracked.

LgTsIRe.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=142327163135&&&chn=ps

xjwmx, this Devcon self-fusing tape is available from southern California to Michigan and many other areas at.....believe it or not....... of all places....... Family Dollar, for about $2 cheaper than the ebay price. Stretching the tape activates the fusion, it can take a lot of stretch.

Scott

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=142327163135&&&chn=ps

xjwmx, this Devcon self-fusing tape is available from southern California to Michigan and many other areas at.....believe it or not....... of all places....... Family Dollar, for about $2 cheaper than the ebay price. Stretching the tape activates the fusion, it can take a lot of stretch.

Scott
They didn't have it at my FD, but got Duck brand at Wally. Amazing stuff!! Kind of revolutionary, like silicone sealer was in its day.

RG.
I've always figured that the Yamaha engineers knew what a mess the push rod, bushing, and seal were going to make once wear set in. So they put the gasket in there to keep the mess off the left cover while the leaking seal was lubing the front sprocket. Of course that's just a guess on my part.;)

roy

Back