Clutch adjustment?

mikesim

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My new scoot needed to have the clutch adjusted so I adjusted the slack screw on the perch all the way in, popped off the inspection cover and attempted to loosen the 12mm lock nut that secures the adjustment screw. I exerted as much force as I dared but the nut wouldn't break loose. I did notice that the mechanism behind the nut was flexing somewhat while I was applying force. Not knowing what is behind the cover and skeered to break some uobtanium part i decided that a bit of discretion was advised until I could consult the experts, you all. Should I just throw caution to the wind and let 'er rip or is there a better solution? I do have a small 3/8 drive impact that I use on my scoots if you think that is justified.I

Mike

Aren't newbies a PITA?

:laughing:

The adjuster screw and it's lock nut are just plain steel and often seize together. The male worm part that screw goes into is metal but the female worm part it fits into is just nylon or plastic. I wouldn't chance an impact on it, may do some damage. For the really stuck ones, I take the male worm part out of the case and clamp it in a vice. Then I use a drywall screwgun with a socket fitted to it. The screwgun doesn't develop a huge amount of torque like an impact but it's always been enough to break these free for me. Anti-seize the screw and nut threads when reassembling it, and the lock nut doesn't need to be set super tight, just a bit past snug. Best tool for getting at the lock nut in the future is an offset box wrench .....

FAd5DsY.jpg

If you don't have one in this metric size (12mm), you can pick one up cheap off eBay. The 10 x 12 is a good choice. You'll use the 10mm end a lot ......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metric-6-3...var=485146504230&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I grab a 6 point 12mm deep socket slap it on the 1/2 impact and give it a quick shot to loosen, haven't broken one, yet...
Probably done 10 or more. Like 5T sez the 10 -12 offset is one useful wrench, perfect for setting valve lash also. The set from 8 to 17mm is one of my most used wrench sets.

Thanks a bunch. I have and old style CP720 3/8 drive butterfly air wrench that I used way back in the 60's/70's when I worked at the dealer. It made short work of the Phillips case screws. I think it will be gentle enough for this job. I just didn't want to destroy some thing.

Mike

Just be aware that sometimes all that "jolting" knocks the cable end out of the arm, so if the hand lever goes "limp" after your impacting, you'll know why.

Back