clutch push lever difference

javier302

XS650 Rookie
Reaction score
hey guys, I need to replace my push lever, and I ordered one online and when I opened it doesn't match mine.
the one on my bike (79xs650) has 2 holes and the one I received only one. is there a year where they changed or any kind of info that would help me get the correct one.
thanks
Javier

the one on the bike, the 2nd hole is being used for the "bell crank system" I have for my foot clutch. I'm trying to avoid having to make new pieces to accommodate the difference in the throw/angle.

I recently changed out the worm on my '77 to the one listed in your ebay link as the single hole type. The one that was in there also had a single hole but it was located closer to the pivot point. I road tested the one with the hole out at the end and immediately swapped it back.
The further from the pivot point the more lever needs to be used......closer to the pivot point the less lever needed. Stock hand clutch lever.
Just some info if it helps.

I think the 2 hole versions would be aftermarket parts. As far as I know, factory ones only came with one hole, although the location varied. The short arm was used on the early models. The first long arm came along about 1974. In about 1979, the hole was moved in closer to the center, same long arm just different hole location.

Mid_and_Late_Worm_Gears.jpg

Trying to sort part numbers is difficult. The middle section seems unchanged at "16340". It appears the 3 digit prefix changed, 256 for the early short arm and IT3 for the late long arm. The mid production long arm doesn't seem to be listed although it may have had a 447 prefix.

LateWormGear.jpg

You can drill a second hole in any long arm version if need be.

My original worm lever had the hole at 1 25/32" from pivot centre to hole centre. I drilled a second hole at 1 14/32". That changes the clutch plates separation from 0.079" to
0.097". That extra 0.018" makes a big difference. Much easier to select neutral.

Attachments

• Drilled a second hole R1.JPG
    Drilled a second hole R1.JPG
    278.9 KB · Views: 158
Are you talking the thread on the adjuster screw or the "thread" or direction of the swirl grooves? The direction of the swirl differed on some other models like the TX750 twin.

Back