Could this make the bike run hot?

I see you had a.few test rides b4 getting stranded. Did it get that extreme hot on that side b4 or when you got stranded? Is the heat still an issue?

To test coils do the need to be disconnect from the bike entirely?
Ive tested between the power and trigger they test at 4.5 ohm on each coil. The test between the plug wire and the either power or trigger does not produce a thing but are still wired to bike.

The coils can be mounted on bike and disconnected to test. Primary winding (orange to brown) ~4 Ohms, secondary winding (HT lead to orange) ~8000 Ohms

1687215743728.jpeg

The coils can be mounted on bike and disconnected to test. Primary winding (orange to brown) ~4 Ohms, secondary winding (HT lead to orange) ~8000 Ohms

View attachment 245578
Installed battery. Still a miss on right side. But will hit at about 3/4 throttle. Cleaned carbs yesterday plug is getting fuel. Look very rich and black from not firing.

So I guess ya gotta double check the tune: compression, valve lash, point gap & timing with a strobe to find the cause of the miss. Is your point gap ok on the right and have you checked the timing with a strobe for both sides? If that all checks out, I might switch coils side-to -side and see if the miss follows

Installed battery. Still a miss on right side. But will hit at about 3/4 throttle. Cleaned carbs yesterday plug is getting fuel. Look very rich and black from not firing.
So I guess ya gotta double check the tune: compression, valve lash, point gap & timing with a strobe to find the cause of the miss. Is your point gap ok on the right and have you checked the timing with a strobe for both sides? If that all checks out, I might switch coils side-to -side and see if the miss follows
PMA is charging at 12.43. When Installing new timing chain guide and head off 77 the valves were checked and put to spec. I will go back through and recheck. I have not ever worked on the points just installed and timed the bike yesterday.

Attachments

• 1687225399616442020233663945938.jpg
    1687225399616442020233663945938.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 30
PMA is charging at 12.43. When Installing new timing chain guide and head off 77 the valves were checked and put to spec. I will go back through and recheck. I have not ever worked on the points just installed and timed the bike yesterday.
The side that is missing when hitting is blowing out a bunch of either un burned fuel when hitting or oil.

Something's not right on the charging at 12.43volts. I suspect that the battery at rest might measure 12.43, if so, you're not seeing any output from the PMA while running. That will have to be corrected first.

Just posting this-up to verify this is how it's wired
1687227992948.png

And here's the link to Mike's Tech on testing the PMA System https://www.mikesxs.net/blog/how-to-test-the-xs-charge-pma-system/

And

I do suspect the miss may be in the point adjustment. First, the point gap on each set adjusted to .015-.016" at max opening. Then the right point timing adjustment, then the left point timing adjustment. Then verify advancement
1687228660987.png

The above is from the factory manual and might be kinda confusing and not much help. If ya have questions - just holler - one of us old farts that grew-up doing points can probably help

Last edited:
Something's not right on the charging at 12.43volts. I suspect that the battery at rest might measure 12.43, if so, you're not seeing any output from the PMA while running. That will have to be corrected first.

Just posting this-up to verify this is how it's wired
View attachment 245610

And here's the link to Mike's Tech on testing the PMA System https://www.mikesxs.net/blog/how-to-test-the-xs-charge-pma-system/

And
It is wired this way. the reg/rec in one only has a red and green for power and ground. 3 yellow in from pma and 2 out from reg/rec.

12.43v at 3000 rpm? That is way low and will cause problems. Address that issue first.

If this is what you see at the battery, you coils are seeing 0.5 to 1.0 volts less. That will defiinitely cause running problems.

My coils now read 2.4 across each one.
At 3000 rpm you need to see 14.2v to 14.5v at the battery. Less than that will give symtoms of carb problems because a weak spark/low battery charge will give you indications of mixture problems. These old bikes are really simple if you keep this in mind. (and I am an Amatuer).

At 3000 rpm you need to see 14.2v to 14.5v at the battery. Less than that will give symtoms of carb problems because a weak spark/low battery charge will give you indications of mixture problems. These old bikes are really simple if you keep this in mind. (and I am an Amatuer).
Last evening I get home from work. I take points out of bike they were pretty pitted. Filed them with my point file put them back in gapped them. Tried to static time them. Couldnt get the light to turn on no matter what. What the hell did I do wrong?

Last evening I get home from work. I take points out of bike they were pretty pitted. Filed them with my point file put them back in gapped them. Tried to static time them. Couldnt get the light to turn on no matter what. What the hell did I do wrong?
Today I am an XS650Addict which is fitting. I am in recovery and Im an addiction counselor LOL too cool

Back