Craigslist - 3 out of 3 responses are scams

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Trying to sell a table on Craigslist, every response is a scam. The first two were the familiar and unimaginative "I'll have my secretary send a check" and the last was a message saying somebody is using my pictures in another ad and gives me a link to the ad. But the link wants me to sign in with a Craigslist ID. They want to hijack existing ads to have the money sent to them, I guess. Pretty sneaky.

Thanks for the heads up!
I get some crap responses from my CL ads but nothing that tricky yet.

We have that issue over at Kijiji (Ebay Classifieds south of the border) and we will be rolling out a new reply system in order to stop this.

It will be based on the Ebay messaging system so that the scam emails never get to the user (we hope) :)

Do you work for Kijiji ? That's pretty cool. That last thing is an incredible scam. For example post something on here that looks like a link to something on ebay. Say this is incredible you have to see what this guy has done in this auction. When they click on it go to a page that's ripped ebay code to give the right look and say this auction is out of date; please log in to view it. Then pass it on to some ebay auction for them to see. Many people would see nothing wrong with it and they'd never know anything happened.

I do.

I handle all of the technical issue that users have with the site on week days and then on weekends I handle the users that have been scammed.

There are quite a few different phishing techniques they use to get user information. The most recent one has been to copy the emails that we send to users when their ad has been deleted, and adjust it to contain a link that requires them to login just like the above mentioned technique.

They spoof the email address to look like it is from us to the lay person and once the have yor login info they delete all of your ads to post fake car ads like a 2007 Audi for $3600. And people will send them money.

This is know as the greed factor, because even though it looks to good to be true they chance it because they have suspended their disbeleif in order to buy this amazing deal sight unseen.

Sad really. Most people that get taken know full well going in that they shouldn't have.

http://kijijiblog.ca/tag/scam/

used craiglist to look for a rental home. 8 out of 10 were scams. they were in africa but their layers would show us the house and they had the keys. a bunch like this, it made moving very hard. only way to really find a place to stay tho.

^How did that work? Did they want money to show the house?

^How did that work? Did they want money to show the house?

yeah, they would have a crap load of pictures in the post, and say they wanted a partial deposit to look at the house and then their lawyer or secretary or son/daughter would have the papers ready with keys when we went to look at the house. they were always somewhere over seas and they just got a contract with some oil company, or they were on a mission trip with a church. there were a bunch of different stories. it was really hard to deal with. i dont know if it was the same person, but every post, and every reply had basically the same layout to it. if we saw a post that looked a little promising we would just sent a email that said 'interested' and we could tell right away by their response if it was legit or not.

Back