Damaged 27mm Clutch basket nut, How do I fix this?

badassjamie

Blow Me
Reaction score
Picked up a 73 for a song, and the more I dig into it, the more issues I find. Go figure.

The starter was not engaging and made the usual terrible whining sound so I take of the right side cover to make the bendix #4 gear clip adjustment.

Now, as I'm in there, I found the previous owner must have pryed on the case against the clip because the nub where the clip return fits into, was completely sheered of the case. As in, broken completely off, explaining why the starter would not work. It just spins freely and useless in there forever. What a shame. I don't forsee this barn find engine going out to an aluminum welding for internal operation repairs any time soon.
No solution here except for going kick only. Okay, guess I'm going to have to live with that.

So, while I'm in there, I removed the clutch plates and then I find the 27mm clutch basket nut had also been severely damaged, looks like someone was trying to chissel it off and it's all worn with shredded edges all over.
Clearly, someone didn't have the right tools and know how to be in there in the first place.
Can't believe my luck here. I can't fit a socket on it because it's so damaged and I tried going larger size with no luck.

I thought maybe trying to get a small die grinder in there to trying and grind down the edges some so I can at least get a socket to go around it, but I don't have one.

What would be your idea for trying to get that off for a replacement?

Last edited:
What a mess. A nut splitter is probably too big to fit there. I have shaved nuts off with a torch but that wouldn't work in there. Even if you could pack wet rags in there still not enough room. Best bet in my thinking would be hammer a socket on it.
If you're pretty good with a heat wrench(welder) you could run a new nut up against it and tack the two together?

Welcome to the site.

Post a picture so we can see how bad the nut is. Click on "Manage Attachments" and then "browse" to load a picture from your computer. You can probably grind or file the nut to get it suitable for a socket.

Yes, some people should not be allowed to work on these bikes..................they do a lot of damage. If only we could bring back tar and feathering to teach those PO's a lesson.:D

I had exactly the same problem, sadly it seems to be a common problem that people can't read a manual and use a torque wrench.

I locked up my clutch and even stood on a bar to get the nut undone, in the end........... Sharp chisel and a hammer to get it to turn, once it cracked undone it was ok after that. Just make sure you get onto a good thick bit of the nut and it should come off

Heiden Tuning and MikesXS stock clutch basket nuts.

Thanks for the quick response.

As you can see, it's chewed up pretty good, and more so than this even now after my attempt to crack it since I took that pic.

Obviously someone was not scared to chissel their way thru a half assed repair.

If it wasn't torqued on so good and in such a difficult spot. Ahh my lifes story...

At any rate. I'm gonna take a break and chill so I don't screw it up even more for a bit.

CIMG4733.jpg

That should come off, mine was far worse than that. If it were me i'd start with a chisel on the nut where it's been hit before in the middle of a flat, not too near the edge, hit inwards so you get a good hold with the chisel and then out to the side to get it to turn. It will need a decent size hammer though and a smart clout to get it undone. You could rescue the nut though and use a socket if you have a small die grinder just to face the nut off a bit. It's not as bad as I imagined it to be. :yikes:

Looking at the burrs though it actually looks like it's be tightened up by hitting a chisel against it, particularly the top chisel mark as it's facing to the right and for loosening it should be the left.

That is truly incredable! Yes, it appears someone was actually hammering on it to tighten it :doh::doh:

Use a grinder or just a file and remove the high areas so a socket will fit on. Use a 6 point socket.

Another way is to use a mini grinder such as a dremel tool. Put a small cutting wheel on, and cut a narrow groove across the nut (90 degrees to the threads). That should weaken the nut, which you could then hammer a chisel into the groove to split the nut, or use a nut splitter if you have the clearance. My son and I used the dremel cutting wheel method on a frozen front wheel nut on a Honda civic. Even if you cut slightly into the shaft thread it will do no harm.

Last edited:
Many ways to get that off. The simplest might be an adjustable (crescent) wrench with a cheater pipe. The dealer can likely order a new nut for you.

Or if you have any kind of grinder, just grind the flats flat enough again and use the socket.

If the nut is torn up beyond repair I suggest using an air chisel on it. If you don't have one borrow one from a friend, I've gotten many stubborn nuts off that way. They're unusable after you get it off, but at least it'll be off. And it's a hell of a lot easier than trying to hold a chisel in place and smack at it with a hammer!

I agree with the other suggestions - grind off the high points and use a 6-point deep socket.

Alternately, find a socket long enough that clears the other junk and weld it onto the nut..

Xs650 Direct is currently out of stock on the replacements so I will have to find another one before I work on removing it again since it dosen't look like I'll be reusing this one.

But I like the ideas, now I have time to round up what I need to do it.
I'm also waiting on the clutch spring bolts because like everything else, they were stripped all to shit and I'm replacing those as well. Would've liked to put on allen heads, but that might be a good future mod.

Back