Dna springer, real total cost?

chopit25

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I have been thinking about a Springer for my bike and have read a lot of posts about adapting the bearings and needing the wheel and brakes. Right now I have a 1973 tx650 which I guess has a shorter than later models neck. I want front brakes and would like to run a small speedo.
I am curious to hear from experience what all is really needed and what the real costs could be?
It looks like you can get a dna that is advertised for an xs650 with bearings kit for about $550. Then you need a rim, brake rotor, caliper, brake hose, master cylinder, and whatever is needed to run a speedo.

It seems like it could really be expensive or almost as much as the rest of the entire bike.

What is the real deal on going to a springer?

Not sure on the cost in total, but you can get speedo's that run off a magnet instead of a speedo gear drive if that helps? They cost usually between $60- $250 depending on what you get. Bearings are quite cheap, so not really a big expense. You might beable to run your OG wheel on them, and just weld some tabs on for the brakes unless you run a drum.

As one person responded when I asked about the "thug life" build. The answer is thrifty. You could nearly get the cost of an entire XS in the springer set up once you buy one, plus the wheel, brake etc. Most aren't willing to spend that kind of money. That's why you don't see many of them. They do look cool though.
jefft

-DNA Springer and Bearing Kit
-Some dude on ebay makes a mount for harley calipers that attach to DNA Springers
-Harley Caliper
-Brake Fittings and Lines (maybe?)
-Harley Rim and Tire
-Headlight and Mount
-Speedo of some sorts
-Handlebars for DNA Springer, or Custom Bars, or risers and bars, or an adapter for a DNA to run typical harley 1" bars (on ebay)

Last edited:
So I have been thinking about a Springer for my bike and have read a lot of posts about adapting the bearings and needing the wheel and brakes. Right now I have a 1973 tx650 which I guess has a shorter than later models neck. I want front brakes and would like to run a small speedo.
I am curious to hear from experience what all is really needed and what the real costs could be?
It looks like you can get a dna that is advertised for an xs650 with bearings kit for about $550. Then you need a rim, brake rotor, caliper, brake hose, master cylinder, and whatever is needed to run a speedo.

It seems like it could really be expensive or almost as much as the rest of the entire bike.

What is the real deal on going to a springer?

kit about 550 plus shipping if my brain serves me right its 100
rim--use 100
wheel---leave this blank cause im sure you know
a clean simple break bracket -80 or so
caliper used about 40 including new pads
then the harley bars
harley controls unless you want to do you own thing there.

it adds up quick the first time i did a springer my front end was worth more than my bike. the dna springer is ugly to a lot of people. when i received mine i was excited at first, but then the look came apparent to me. some guy makes a cool wish bone kit for 250 which helps dress it up, but then after shipping both youre at almost 1000 just for the springer. id shop around. sometimes you can get an old harley springer for 1100-1200 bucks and now that back-yard building has exploded there are lots of options for better looking springers out there. i was new to bikes and bought a kit from tc brothers. they advertised in as a harley springer. another thing -- i was so excited then when i got it i looked it over and found a FUCKING dna sticker on it. I was not happy that tc brothers did that. ive never and will never by from them again.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm starting to think it may be a little cost prohibitive for this this bike at this time. I will probably just do some planning and see how it works out.

My buddy has one on his XS we're building... had to turn the axle down to fit his mag wheel...and fabbing up our own front brake caliper mount...looks good but to much work and money I think

If you want disc brakes, the Harley wheels and beakes are going to be the way to go.

You can pick up a used HD wheel for around $60-80, and a used caliper and rotor for another $80.

Another way to go would be to use a wheel with a mechanical drum brake hub... That way all you need to buy is a cable and a lever. They look cooler too... but obviously your brake performance will suffer. The premium choice here would be a 1966-72 Harley sportster wheel, but you going to pay $200-300 for one. The cheaper way would be to use a drum brake wheel off of an small Honda or Kawasaki from the early 1970's. Most of their under 500cc bikes used 19'' wheels with drum front brakes in the early 1970's. My local auto salvage yard has this sort of bike fairly often, and sells the wheels for about $30. Of course these wheels were designed for a smaller, lighter, bike... so the braking probably wont be great...

If you want disc brakes, the Harley wheels and beakes are going to be the way to go.

You can pick up a used HD wheel for around $60-80, and a used caliper and rotor for another $80.

Another way to go would be to use a wheel with a mechanical drum brake hub... That way all you need to buy is a cable and a lever. They look cooler too... but obviously your brake performance will suffer. The premium choice here would be a 1966-72 Harley sportster wheel, but you going to pay $200-300 for one. The cheaper way would be to use a drum brake wheel off of an small Honda or Kawasaki from the early 1970's. Most of their under 500cc bikes used 19'' wheels with drum front brakes in the early 1970's. My local auto salvage yard has this sort of bike fairly often, and sells the wheels for about $30. Of course these wheels were designed for a smaller, lighter, bike... so the braking probably wont be great...

thats not a bad idea, but the 64-72 full harley hubs have a 17mm as apposed to the 3/4 axle that the rockers accept. youll have to mess with it to work and also crate a brake stay. it can work with work. i have a 21 inch wheel with the harley drum 300 bucks everything is new never ran just laced. decided to go a different route, wheel cost me almost 600 to build. pm if anyone is interested

The 17mm is easily changed to 3/4'' by swapping out the wheel bearings.

In general, you can change the wheel bearings on any motorcycle wheel to whatever internal diameter you need.

The XS's with 4 under I have seen I liked the look very much. Have seen a few with girders that looked real nice too but that's a rare site. Too bad people don't want to go all out and use them more often. I think they look way better than a stock front.
jefft

The 17mm is easily changed to 3/4'' by swapping out the wheel bearings.

In general, you can change the wheel bearings on any motorcycle wheel to whatever internal diameter you need.

assuming the space allows for it of course, but SAE to metric isnt always a simple swap. give out the part numbers for the race and bearings im sure people are interested:thumbsup:

I'll dig through my notes this weekend and try to find it. No race required, just a bearing.

I swapped the bearings out on a 1964-72 Harley drum brake front wheel, going from its original 17mm ID to a 3/4'' ID. Later model Harleys used a 3/4'' front axle but I wanted to use the old style wheel, so I swapped wheel bearings.

I do remember that I bought said bearings at Advance Auto Parts, and I'm pretty sure they had them in stock... but that was 10 years ago.

Last edited:
I have done about 10 of them and I didn't go cheap . Springer around $450.00 Brake kit $200.00 21" wheel and tire $225.00 Bearing kit another $50.00. So $900.00 is a fair price if you are building a cool nice bike and you want to go straight and stop. Making up parts to fit and play with sometimes cost you more. You can pick up a nice sportster front end run a 21 and stock brakes and have a nice look. Here are some pic's White frame bike is sportster front.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqYOKnME4N+Kr!EHBOGJkEkS-g~~_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqYOKnME4N+Kr!EHBOGJkEkS-g~~_3.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 248
  • images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 198
  • th_kutz.jpg
    th_kutz.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 100_0856.jpg
    100_0856.jpg