Doms XS650B US import

Take time with your wheel build. Distractions are frustrations first time through. Once you have the pattern down it is pretty easy. Good luck and patience. Cheers

Unless you can pick up some good second hand ones cheap, it would pay not to scrimp on new ones. Those you posted, the link to, don't look like they would be easy to use, angles look wrong.

The longer the better as well. JP's, links show them to be an extra 3". Not a lot but it does make a big difference and compare the angles to the one in your link

Armed with my new tyre levers and Motion Pro rim protectors I managed to get the rear tyre off, not easy but I did it. Hopefully the front tyre will be easier?

I made notes and took photos of the lacing pattern, offset
20230314_185713.jpg
and which were innies and outies, polishing next!

I made notes and took photos of the lacing pattern, offset and which were innies and outies, polishing next!
If the spoke seats in the rim are canted left and right you will find real quickly if your lacing pattern is correct. I went back a couple of time before I got it. In truth, an irratating bystander was watching the first attempt.

I actually really enjoy re-lacing wheels, it's dead easy too so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Having got the wheels running true I rang all the spokes with a spanner and tweaked the odd few that were too low in pitch. The front spokes are all showing a tiny
20230321_220405.jpg
20230321_220357.jpg
bit of thread which is a bit annoying

I actually really enjoy re-lacing wheels, it's dead easy too so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Having got the wheels running true I rang all the spokes with a spanner and tweaked the odd few that were too low in pitch. The front spokes are all showing a tiny View attachment 238440View attachment 238442bit of thread which is a bit annoying
Do you recheck true and tune. I rechecked mine 2 weeks later and some minor adjustments were needed after it "settled in"

Looks fantastic. 650direct now has stainless spokes back in stock again for us North Americans. I just picked up a set not long ago for a set of wheels that need some love. You did well Dom.

I'll bear that in mind, hopefully be out on it soon if the lacquer on my repainted parts ever hardens.
I did my first this year. It tried up pretty easily and yes, it was fun. Brand new spokes and rim. I laid it aside for 10-14 days and rechecked and it did need tweaking. But, that could be on amateur me and not the hardware.

Wheel lacing went well but I've got a slight problem, on the rear I have the odd spoke that is showing too much thread but I dont see a way of removing the visible thread as it's done up tight. On the front I have too much thread on nearly all spokes so have spoke to Central Wheel Components who say I have definitely got the right size spokes.
Any idea why this might be or is it just one of those things with aftermarket spokes?

Photo of the odd spoke showing more thread than those around it.

Attachments

• 20230324_122007.jpg
    20230324_122007.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 41
Wheel lacing went well but I've got a slight problem, on the rear I have the odd spoke that is showing too much thread but I dont see a way of removing the visible thread as it's done up tight. On the front I have too much thread on nearly all spokes so have spoke to Central Wheel Components who say I have definitely got the right size spokes.
Any idea why this might be or is it just one of those things with aftermarket spokes?

Photo of the odd spoke showing more thread than those around it.
Spoke threads showing happens sometimes and, all things otherwise correct, is not indicating a problem. I suspect the rear spoke in question was perhaps threaded a little deeper than others. Threads showing is not necessarily abnormal.

Spokes & lacing look good, BTW; no bowing of the spoke or odd angles at the nipple noted.

Last edited:
Back