Double checking trans concern / hypochondria

luckynumber0

In Over His Head
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just double checking some basic stuff my puny brain couldn't extract a clean answer from the million+ threads on clutch adjustment, slippage, and false neutrals.

Just been out breaking in my engine (using the Mototune method) after a full top end rebuild. '82 heritage.

While I had the engine on the table, I went through the clutch to replace old disks, springs, and upgraded to allen bolts. Triple checked everything was stacked correctly and the disks sat in oil overnight. The springs which either wear out or break behind/above clutch basket were fine and where they should be when I was in there.

On my break-in ride, I only did a quick and approximate adjusting of the clutch. For the first ride, the adjustment felt wrong but it still performed quite well. On the second ride, a day later though I had forgotten to fix the clutch adjustment, it kept jumping out of gear into some false neutrals between 4th & 5th once it got hot (thermodipstick @ 225 degrees). Shifting in general was all fucked up...Sometimes it wouldn't go down to 1st, sometimes my gear shift pedal would kinda stick down or up...

First place I'm checking is the clutch adjustment, right? Would a mal-adjusted clutch actually cause false neutrals and stuck shifting? I just wanted to post this on here in case it sounded like something more serious to anyone else!

Ok - couple of thoughts then:

1. If by neutral plunger you mean the ball + spring + nut assembly aka the 'neutral detent' located at the topside of the crankcase next to the dipstick, then I should point out that a PO had overtorqued the nut and broke the lip off the case where it should screw in. Luckily, there's about four threads on it so the nut screws in but leaks (and maybe doesn't provide the same force?). Before my rebuild I had it screwed in a JB welded to seal it. During the rebuild, with the thought it might help me find neutral better, I took it off and pulled on the spring a bit so it might actuate a little better. Could having done this affected shifting?

2. If I saw the starwheel & shiftshaft springs were all in place when I changed out the clutch basket, could my riding a little harder than usual for the break in (or riding with a maladjusted clutch) have changed/displaced them? Everything was fine before the rebuild (save for the difficulty of finding neutral) and after it clicked through all gears normally when I did it by hand.

3. stupid question: when I take off the cover to check I have to replace that (new) gasket, right?

1 - Yeah, I remember that thread now. The function is simple, the plunger is spring-forced into a recess in the shiftdrum, so that it stays between 1st and 2nd. Just want to be sure that it does its job, without binding. The plunger tip should be rounded smooth, not roughed up, and move freely in the retainer bolt barrel.

2 - Your riding style shouldn't affect the starwheel springs. But, that area should be inspected and function checked anyway.

3 - If the new sidecover gasket isn't damaged, it can probably be re-used. I put a thin coating of grease on both sides of my gaskets so they won't stick during servicing, and can be re-used. Factory method is to install gaskets dry, but some of us gearheads hate ruining and scraping gaskets everytime a cover is pulled, so this is just a convenience trick...

Back