Drag handlebars installed, clutch cable length questions....

mrpink

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got done installing drag bars on my '83 Heritage Special. Super straight forward job, took all of 30mins. Went for a test run and found my clutch to be slipping a bit (more so in 2nd and 3rd under load) and my idle seemed a bit low. I am guessing I need to shorten my clutch and throttle cable to take up some of the slack in the lines.

My questions are...

- Am I correct in thinking that the long cables are the root cause?
- Can the cables be shortened? I have done a fair amount of brazing in my day so this would not be an issue. I have read the how2 located here... http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1026&postcount=5 That seems to be about making a new cable, wondering if it can be adapted to shortening an existing one.
- How much should I shorten them? Anyone installed drag handlebars and care to share?

Thanks.

matt.

I simply reroute them. Originally, the throttle cable ran down along the right side of the neck, the clutch down along the left. Switch them so the throttle goes along the left and the clutch along the right .....

CableRouting.jpg

- when shortening old cables take care - they can be dirty, and difficult to clean enough to get a good solder
- before shortening, free both ends, pull the cable through as far as possible, measure the length the inner extends beyond the outer - when finished this should be the same
- route the cable carefully, mark the length of the outer
- when cutting the outer, dont damage the inner, allow for the endcap, fit
- measure the inner extension, cut, clean, solder

I simply reroute them. Originally, the throttle cable ran down along the right side of the neck, the clutch down along the left. Switch them so the throttle goes along the left and the clutch along the right .....

CableRouting.jpg

I will try this tomorrow after work... Looks like a simple solution.

So would the excessive cable length or tight radius "bends" cause the clutch to not fully engage?

p!nK

When I put daytona bars on mine, I also put on cables for a standard, and that took out the slack.

Back