Earlier Gas Tanks on Later Frames: Is it Possible?

JonW

Troop
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am wanting to know if the earlier 650 tanks from say 1970 to 1975 will fit a 1980 Special frame? I am converting to front and rear spoked rear wheels, 19" front and 18" rear, and plan on using an earlier tank and seat to complete the change to look like an earlier 650.

There is a difference in the length. Where the rear of the tank sits on the frame mount varies. has been done. The seat hinge spacing and placement may be different between the Early 70-73 frames and the later 74-79 frames.

Any tank from 1974 TX650A forward will fit any frame from 1974 TX650A forward. Standard or Special. Earlier tanks can be made to fit later frames by enlarging the hole in the rear mount of the tank and shortening the front of the seat.

There is a difference in the length. Where the rear of the tank sits on the frame mount varies. has been done. The seat hinge spacing and placement may be different between the Early 70-73 frames and the later 74-79 frames.

Any tank from 1974 TX650A forward will fit any frame from 1974 TX650A forward. Standard or Special. Earlier tanks can be made to fit later frames by enlarging the hole in the rear mount of the tank and shortening the front of the seat.

Thank you very much, guys. Very much appreciated!

So one has to ask, do you have a good early tank because they are hard to find in good condition.

So one has to ask, do you have a good early tank because they are hard to find in good condition.

No, I do not. I'm just trying to find out what fits what. I hadn't thought yet, how hard it might be to find an early tank as I haven't got that far yet, but thanks for letting me know.

Back