Early rotor and later model caliper

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Will an early model rotor (73 Tx650) work with a later model caliper.Are the early model rotors a different thickness and diameter? I swapped a 35 mm front end on my 73 frame. I'm using the 73 tx hub and rotor.

No, the early rotor has a different offset. You'll need a later rotor. It will bolt right on your wheel and they're pretty cheap on eBay. Many get a later slotted version off an 850 or 1100 I think. Just make sure the diameter matches. Some of the later dual disc models used smaller diameter rotors.

I'm up to near a dozen now, lol. My latest for a Suzuki I'm working on .....

RrWheelDone.jpg

Quite an improvement on what it looked like originally .....

RrHubBefore3.jpg

Sure is a purdy wheel 5twins, I was going to get a body shop soda blast my hubs but he charges $125/hr. I started on them with some fine steel wool. Think i'm going to rub the piss out of them. Just hard to get into the ribs on the hub. Any suggestions?

I soda blast that area. Usually cleans it up nice. I don't polish or buff it like the rest of the hub because once the spokes are in, you can't get at it to keep it polished. However, I may have bead blasted this one it was so grungy to begin with. I do so many, I forget, lol. Either way, like I said, I don't polish the center ribbed section, just get it good and clean by blasting of some sort.

Back