Electric Vehicles, Hybrids...Battery tech... Land Air and Sea. Let's See 'em.

Is the internal combustion engine doomed to history

• Yes

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • ...er... what was the question again?

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Interesting it doesn't mention local utility's blessing. Not being a naysayer mind you, I'm certain that power co. has to approve and make a couple on-site visits to disconnect and reconnect/seal meter. Linked article doesn't even mention NEC.

Still an elegant solution if no road-blocks are thrown up.
It looks like they are going at it state by state

Trouble at Sonders E Motorcycles

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/why-i-put-down-5000-on-a-sondors-electric-motorcycle-and-then-backed-out?pid=627af53e55e97139060c509d&uhe=cb82fdc2d5a404fda5ae4d0a53471b66&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=09/24/2022_CT_Generic_CommonTread_Campaign&utm_term=Common Tread | Combined
26F4C102-99B6-41D0-BEA6-EB6138B19756.jpeg

https://landmoto.io/pages/vehicles

230FCEB4-B9E5-4F2E-B101-7443069AF5AC.jpeg

Ryan has a slightly different take on Sondors bike.
Well... one of 'em does anyway. :rolleyes:

Ha! I forgot to watch this earlier, he always has an interesting take on things. I think it’s a cool looking bike, but not built for my human sized butt! 😄

Not read through the thread ..but Sunday I met an old friend that have connections in the Auto scrap salvage
business
He said there is so many demands on the shop I believe it was about the fire hazard.
Separate boxes and so. Closed spaces and perhaps fire extinguishing equipment
Not sure exactly but the investment in relation to how many vehicles. Meant that it was in reality impossible to scrap such a car. No one would take it.
So it may translate in the future to high prices to pay for scrapping. Getting rid of it.
I dont know much about the technology but it can also be few(er) parts possible to resell for the scrapper.
..I may be wrong

Personally I am not convinced the electric automobile is the solution. Yet
Prices and recharging intervals ..Dont want to be sitting in the winter.

Personally I wont for now consider an electric motorcycle. Nothing for me. I rather change hobby.

Honda is officially in the swappable battery game for electric motorcycles​

Swappable batteries have been one potential solution to two of the big problems that hold back the use of electric motorcycles: limited range and many urban residents, who live in apartments, lacking a place to charge an electric two-wheeler. Now, the first Honda battery swapping station is going into service in Japan, bringing new competition to the fledgling industry.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tre...appable-battery-game-for-electric-motorcycles

1667446522789.png

NOW I'M HUNGRY —

Domino’s buys 800 Chevrolet Bolt EVs as pizza delivery vehicles​

1669049391415.png

On Monday the company announced the arrival of more than 100 Chevrolet Bolts to select Domino's locations, with another 700 due by the end of 2023. You can even check on their progress online—of Bolt deliveries, not pizza deliveries, although that's possible, too, thanks to onboard telematics.

"Domino's has always been on the cutting edge of pizza delivery, and electric delivery cars make sense as vehicle technology continues to evolve. We've made a commitment to net-zero carbon emissions by 2050, and this is one way we can begin reducing our environmental impact, one delivery at a time," said Russell Weiner, Domino's CEO.

The Bolt is an eminently sensible choice as one of the most affordable and efficient EVs for sale today. Domino's says that not only are there servicing and maintenance advantages to an EV fleet, but it should also help the company attract delivery drivers who don't have cars of their own.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/1...leet-of-chevrolet-bolt-evs-to-deliver-pizzas/

A couple days ago, I passed one of Amazons new electric vans.
B15B0029-35DD-4423-88CA-11C22272AB2C.jpeg

They ordered 100,000 of them from Rivian. It’s too bad the Post Office is so broke. They’re still driving around in those beat up Vans that were supposed to be retired 15 years ago.

Here is the next generation Postal Delivery van, still in development , it could start showing up in 2023.
089E45A9-9FD6-4C9B-A503-D677480EC62D.jpeg
Oshkosh Defense will assemble 50,000 to 165,000 NGDVs over the course of ten years. They’ll be equipped with “fuel-efficient internal combustion engines or battery electric powertrains.” The latter can be “retrofitted to keep pace with advances in electric vehicle technologies.”

Watching the Chiefs game last night.... Chevy is leaning hard into the EV market. Musta been a dozen commercials for The Bolt, electric pickup and van. No commercials at all with ICE powered vehicles.

Watching the Chiefs game last night.... Chevy is leaning hard into the EV market. Musta been a dozen commercials for The Bolt, electric pickup and van. No commercials at all with ICE powered vehicles.

Yup - and same here, except that we see a ton of adverts for big pickup trucks.

The reason is that all of the OEMs are spending like drunken sailors (sorry DE, Boog and any other Navy vets.... :rolleyes:) on re-designing their entire product line to be either EV or PHEV/HEV - at between $1B and $5B / line. Those costs must be financed through current sales of the highest profit products (like pickup trucks) and of course, the electric products themselves.

The profit the car companies make on big pickups is shocking....to the point where those are their largest production nameplates.

Anyhow, about the only cars sold by the Detroit-3 these days are the "pony" cars (Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers and the Corvette) plus some big sedans (Chrysler 300 and Charger) that are often sold directly to police departments. So, if you want a new IC engine sedan or coupe, you'd better plan on buying one in the next couple of years as they are going to become quite scarce after that.

Pete

Last edited:
Anyhow, if you want a new IC engine sedan or coupe, you'd better plan on buying one in the next couple of years as they are going to become quite scarce after that.

You really think it’ll happen that fast? There is not much infrastructure as far as charging stations go.

You really think it’ll happen that fast? There is not much infrastructure as far as charging stations go.
It will be a race between infrastructure and sales - but, yup, the age of the EV is upon us.

The actual pace of adoption will depend on your locale:
  • faster in the NE US and California...big cities etc.
  • slower in rural North America where people really need big trucks (even though few of them ever haul anything heaver than a case of beer....)
Pete

Last edited:
Back