Endless Camchain Fitting

BarrieC

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
hope your all well and getting out on the bikes?

Been pointed out to me that if your fitting an endless camchain, you need to grind back either the pivot rivet on one side or the brace/roller.
did do a search, but the link to the external website on this is missing
really want an endless chain as I dont want the engine to depend on my ability to do a soft link (i'm the same with drive chains, but try getting an endless one these days!
Got a MIG, so i can tack weld where i grind off
I rebuilt an XS enginein the 90's and i dont ever remember having to split the chain or play around with the tensioner?

The bolts holding the tensioner are AWOL (like every other bloody nut and bolt!) is there anything special about these? such as low profile heads for clearence?

Thanks Guys

Barrie

Attachments

• XS650 Camchain Tensioner.jpg
    XS650 Camchain Tensioner.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 66
Thanks for the replies guys, (will order the bolts) - but main question is about opening up the Camchain tensioner, As mentioned, I want to fit an endless camchain

Cheers

Barrie

In the UK

You don't have to open the tensioner. The chain will come open with a master link to rivet and, once installed on the sprockets, you'll install link and use the tool to rivet the ends (mushroom the pins).

Just looked up the bolts, 2 are machine screws, other 2 are only threaded lower down, so the top unthreaded part holds the tensioner exactly in place, good call Marty

Sorry - didn't notice your location - below are UK/EU links. The Motion Pro chain tool is twice the price, but I don't think Pit Posse tools are in UK.

https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/wo...ols/motion_pro_chain_breaker__and__rivet_tool

https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs650-1980-a-usa_model8759/chaincam-shaft-447_9456219106/

Ya'll really can obtain truly endless cam chains that come one-piece? I'm all ears then!
I bought an eBay riveting tool for cheap. It's junk. Twice the price is a better deal.

I didn’t know you could get a chain that wasn’t endless? At least the suppliers I’ve used are that way.

The Pit Posse is quality tool NC, USA - had one for years and used on cam chains and 530

Guess its a matter of preference, regarding endless camchains then. There was a link posted a few times how to do this: (Link removed) its been posted by a few including 5Twins and GGGary

I wont be swayed on this one, its endless camchain for me :D

Link was removed over security concerns. gggG

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess its a matter of preference, regarding endless camchains then. There was a link posted a few times how to do this:
(Link removed)
its been posted by a few including 5Twins and GGGary

I wont be swayed on this one, its endless camchain for me :D
The link doesn't work! Pun intended.

Last edited:
I need to look into this, because I would love to not break my chain as well. I believe this involves tensioner modification. My engine is late (1981), so I'm following.

Yea Malware went crazy when I went to that link:(

Hey Marty, and you reckon us English have a weird sense of humour!
anyway, ive read three options on this forum:
1. Grind one side of the pivop pin off, twist one side plate, fit camchain and swivel plate back (reputable contributor said no need to refix pin on that side?)
2. Grind off the brace/roller on one side, swivel plate fit camchain and tack weld brace/roller
3. Grind off the brace roller on both sides - apparently roller can then be bolted back in, but bolt heads/nuts must be ground down or low, so they dont block cylinder sleeves

I dont like option 1, so 2 or 3 for me

Attachments

• XS650 Camchain Tensioner.jpg
    XS650 Camchain Tensioner.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 67
Back