enjoy it while you can

RPC3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This has been a tough summer for motorcycling for me. I spent the better part of May and June working on my bike to make some nice improvements (thanks for the help, xs650.com), went on a few short rides, and then had some camping trips that ate up far too many weekends. In the middle of July I broke my wrist in 4 places playing soccer, so my riding for the year was essentially shot. I could maybe get on my bike now, but its cold in Maine and my range of motion is still very poor; not something I'd like to test in an emergency situation.

Motorcycling is mostly an individual hobby for me. I've got a few co-workers who ride bikes, but we've only talked about potentially taking trips together. There was one close friend I had who rode with me, but we couldn't get our schedules synced up earlier in the summer save for a few quick jaunts. A week and a half ago, my close friend passed away. It's been an emotional couple of weeks for me and it'll probably continue to be tough to think about for a long time. I'll always associate riding with my friend, and it's really painful to think that had I not hurt myself, we would have had a lot more quality time to spend together over the summer.

My point is not to mope; shit happens and it'll happen to all of us at one time or another, in some fashion or another. There have been a significant number of injuries and deaths this year in Maine involving motorcycles, and while I've sat on the sidelines this summer I've started to question if the hobby is worth it. My point is this; enjoy the activities you love doing while you can do them. There will come a day when we can't physically do what we want to do, or will run out of time to do the activities we've planned on doing. Use the riding season wisely, enjoy your health while you've got it, and pursue your passions - passionately.

Bummer about your wrist. I hope you heal well so you can ride next year. I support your decision to put the bike away early. It would not take much to injure your wrist again. I am putting my bike up early this year also. My total miles are low this year. We lost three riders in one week and I found myself just not wanting to ride. There is next year and I shall plan some rides and wear more HI-VIZ yellow.
whynot2
Soccer? Really? Don't you know that it's dangerous?
(right fullback [?] ) Go Indians

Sounds like a tough year, condolences.

My daughter is still fierce to ride and pries me out of my Lazy Bastard at least once a week. We went last Sunday and had a GREAT ride. Cool enough to be noticeable, not so much as to be uncomfortable.

We've penciled in another ride for tomorrow, weather permitting. Being a Mainer, you know how that goes. We could ride through November or it could start snowing next week.

RCP3, Sounds like you had a touch summer and then broken wrist (bummer) then sorry to hear you lost your good friend and I know we all head to that time (I'm no spring chicken either) I agree with you Ride while you can. Hope your back on your bike soon.

RPC3 very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend and riding buddy.

Thank you for your sharing your thoughts with us . I am probably a similar age and find that I am starting to increasingly question myself whether or not to ride . I have been a keen road race cyclist for 40 years but gave that up 4 years ago now because its simply too dangerous now in the UK.

When your mind is constantly engaged in the danger and risks of your ride and enjoyment increasingly takes second place then I figured it was time to hang my bikes in the garage. I still run my hand over the beautiful Cannondale Caad9 frame of my favourite bike and remember fondly some of the rides I used to do with cycling buddies years ago.

Then I read your comments and think yeah some day soon I shall be unable to ride my cycle or a motorbike and then I'll wish I made more effort to find a way to ride safely somewhere whilst I still could.

If I could just get up off this couch......... :D

... I'll wish I made more effort to find a way to ride safely somewhere whilst I still could.

If I could just get up off this couch......... :D

I think I know where this is headed...

f3d73afedcfa786409d797ac1c0a1e8a.jpg

:D:D:D methinks you know me too well Twomany :laugh:

Back