Extra Parts

xlr8tn

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rebuilding my XS650D and ran into a couple of issues, extra parts. During disassembly, I bagged and tagged everything so I wouldn't have this problem, but perhaps my haynes manual and what is actual is off a little.

The first issue I ran into was an extra washer/spacer when mounting my kickstart assembly. I did not undo any parts with the gearing, but in the bag was this washer. Not sure if it actually goes to anything else, but when looking at the diagram for this, I am not seeing it listed.

The second issue was a ball bearing in my electric start bag. I am pretty sure this fell out from the push rod, but correct my if I am wrong. I should have 2 ball bearings and 2 push rod sections, which I have since replaced with a solid rod.

Thanks
Brent

Attachments

• IMG_3804.jpg
    IMG_3804.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3801.jpg
    IMG_3801.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 84
That washer goes between the kick start and the right side cover. It helps reduce wear on the cover.
Yes, that ball bearing is from the push rods. On the two piece rods one goes in then a rod then the other bearing and rod.
On the one piece rod, one ball goes in then the rod.
Check your worm mechanism, one ball goes in there that can fall out.
Leo

Yes, I think that washer is from the kicker assembly, but not to reduce wear. The cover already has a steel insert for that. The washer was a shim to remove excess in-out play on the shaft. I don't think they were installed on every 650, just on an "as needed" basis. My '78 didn't have one (maybe it got lost) but did need it. I could move the kick shaft in and out quite a bit once the cover was on. I added one.

Am I wrong in thinking the parts schematic calls for two/2 of part #10?
At least for the 77D.

Attachments

• 77  kick start.jpg
    77 kick start.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 84
I think that's showing the various thicknesses available (.5mm, .1mm). Those might be referring to part #6 though.

Yes the thickness (.5, 1 and unknown) is for part #6.
Part #10 has 2 in the pieces per column.
Tried to separate the two parts with boxes but my paint skills . . . . are lacking today.

Back