First Start with new Boyer

geeskeet

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

Recently got my Boyer installed and everything went pretty well. Tried starting the bike (kickstart only, starter isn’t hooked up) and the bike was giving me better results than before but still no start.

It sounds like it may be 180 out. I haven’t tried anything else like swapping the plugs on either side or anything else yet. I set the stator and rotor like the instructions said, also set the white dot on the rotor to the stator plate through the cam.

I’ve seen some information online about tweaking those settings, but the verbiage is difficult to understand without any visual aids. Any advice? I’m almost there getting this basket case started and I’m very excited/ nervous to start a motorcycle for the first time ever.

From what I recall - and it's been a while - you get the rotor positioned on the 'advance' rod, white dot should line up with the edge of a magnet, squinting through hole in sender plate? And you try to get that with screws holding sender plate in the middle of their slots? That is supposed to get it all close enough to start and run - then you fine set with a strobe.

I'm interested you found the bike was giving me better results than before but still no start. Can you say a bit more about the results? Did it start briefly but die right away? Did it just cough?

From what I recall - and it's been a while - you get the rotor positioned on the 'advance' rod, white dot should line up with the edge of a magnet, squinting through hole in sender plate? And you try to get that with screws holding sender plate in the middle of their slots? That is supposed to get it all close enough to start and run - then you fine set with a strobe.

I'm interested you found the bike was giving me better results than before but still no start. Can you say a bit more about the results? Did it start briefly but die right away? Did it just cough?
What I meant by that last part is before I installed the Boyer (had a pamco that I let the smoke out of) the bike wouldn’t turn over, wouldn’t cough, wouldn’t do anything but sit and look pretty. Now with the Boyer installed it’ll almost “cough” like you mentioned.

But I’ll keep messing around with it, might even give them a ring and do some more troubleshooting. I’ll reply back with any results.

It is possible to flip the wires from the Boyer Pickup and then it wont start.
It is simple to shift .And test
Please test and come back
Can also check if there is spark .taking a plug out and ground it against the engine .It is important it is grounded Please check here on the forum how it is done

Boyers are quite fussy about voltage, is your battery in good condition.
One experience I had fitting a oyer to a 750 Bonneville was that instead of advancing it retarded. After transposing the pick up wires it worked correctly. Turns out the wiring to the pickup had been joined in the loom and transposed.

Back