First time owner and first post

Update:
Saw and rode the bike!

Bad part, I got a ticket lol.
I literally took it around the block 1 time, got back to the in-laws to put it in the garage. I said to myself, I’ll do it one more time. On my second turn I hear sirens. Said I was doing 45 in a 25.

Later that evening after dinner. We took the same road back, and it was 35! Could have been worse though I guess. Didn’t have license, registration or insurance.

Bike rode well lol

I’ve been looking at gas tanks and not sure what will work and what will not. I basically want something that will line up with the seat. Any recommendations? Also how would I go about putting on a tank that requires the c cup mounts? my bike doesn’t have them and currently has a sportster tank.

I’ve been looking at gas tanks and not sure what will work and what will not. I basically want something that will line up with the seat. Any recommendations? Also how would I go about putting on a tank that requires the c cup mounts? my bike doesn’t have them and currently has a sportster tank.
It would be to form the "C" with a hammer, vice and hacksaw. Find metal stock roughly 0.090-0
125", hammer out a "C" then cut it off and repeat. Weld these to your steering neck. With the tank wearing pliable rubber donuts/bushings precision needed is probably only +/- 0125"

Last edited:
Theres three different shaped stock 650 tanks out there you could use.

1) The early original badge style which look really cool, but are a little longer at the rear mounting point and you have to bend or remove some tabs under the tank for clearance.

2) Mid year Standard tanks which fit the fwd cups and rear mounts on Specials just fine. You can spot one by its center mounted filler neck, non badged smooth sides. These are a little larger and rounder than a true "Special" tank.

3) The "Special" tank. Its very slender and svelt looking, filler neck is off to the right side a little, but it still looks kind of chopper/customish like the Sportster tank unless you do some disguising of it (in my opinion of course). You can fill in the badge mounts with body filler and paint these to look really good on a Street Tracker...I've been looking at many, many examples myself as of late. :thumbsup:

Theres three different shaped stock 650 tanks out there you could use.

1) The early original badge style which look really cool, but are a little longer at the rear mounting point and you have to bend or remove some tabs under the tank for clearance.

2) Mid year Standard tanks which fit the fwd cups and rear mounts on Specials just fine. You can spot one by its center mounted filler neck, non badged smooth sides. These are a little larger and rounder than a true "Special" tank.

3) The "Special" tank. Its very slender and svelt looking, filler neck is off to the right side a little, but it still looks kind of chopper/customish like the Sportster tank unless you do some disguising of it (in my opinion of course). You can fill in the badge mounts with body filler and paint these to look really good on a Street Tracker...I've been looking at many, many examples myself as of late. :thumbsup:
Appreciate the info 🙏🏼

It would be to form the "C" with a hammer, vice and hacksaw. Find metal stock roughly 0.090-0
125", hammer out a "C" then cut it off and repeat. Weld these to your steering neck. With the tank wearing pliable rubber donuts/bushings precision needed is probably only +/- 0125"
Thanks, don’t have a welder and was assuming this was going to be case. Was thinking of putting the rubber stoppers on the frame and find a tank with the cups. Like the Honda tanks

Thanks, don’t have a welder and was assuming this was going to be case. Was thinking of putting the rubber stoppers on the frame and find a tank with the cups. Like the Honda tanks
There are a lot of cool shaped Honda tanks that have the C cup on them, then you could easily bolt the rubber donuts to the frame, yes. 👍

I don't have a welder either. I looked into hourly or daily rental last year and was not put-off by the $. However, chatting around a fellow who lives near by, went to school with one of my brothers offered me the use of his portable and the use of his band saw in his basement shop. He was thrilled when I returned it with extra consumables and an Auto Darkening shield.
It is currently in my garage again to kickstand extensions.

I don't have a welder either. I looked into hourly or daily rental last year and was not put-off by the $. However, chatting around a fellow who lives near by, went to school with one of my brothers offered me the use of his portable and the use of his band saw in his basement shop. He was thrilled when I returned it with extra consumables and an Auto Darkening shield.
It is currently in my garage again to kickstand extensions.
I have a buddy that works in fabrication. I sure he has some buddies that wouldn’t mind. Just wanted to see if there was a direct bolt on option. He’s not the easiest to get a hold of.

XS750 has cups on the tank. It's also big. It does fit the XS650.
1700504952213.png

Back