Flat tire on a Standard XS650

retiredgentleman

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I was just looking at pictures of Standards and Specials and now I'm wondering, how easy is it to repair a flat on a Standard model, assuming it has the stock exhaust or a Mikesxs Commando type exhaust.

Does the exhaust block the removal of the rear axle, in order to remove the rear wheel?

Yeah, IIRC easiest is to disconnect one end of the shocks to move the swing arm up or down. But if you have a luggage rack...........

I suppose that would depend on just how much your mufflers/headpipes upsweep and how long your rear shocks are. I have aftermarket MAC headpipes with a nice "kick-up" at the end and also slightly longer than stock rear shocks. Both contribute to the unobstructed and easy rear axle removal I enjoy (without pulling mufflers or disconnecting shocks) .....

RearAxleAccess.jpg

RG, See attached photos of my 77D. Note that the ends of the swing arm are open but blocked by an insert. If the insert bolt and insert are removed, along with the brake actuator rod, brake stay, and chain, the whole axle assembly, wheel, etc. can be withdrawn to the rear without removing exhaust. (I think, haven't actually done it)

roy

Attachments

• 77D rebuild 12-12 004.JPG
    77D rebuild 12-12 004.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 77D rebuild 12-12 006.JPG
    77D rebuild 12-12 006.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 137
The same thing can't be said for the Commando system we mounted on my buddy's '80 Special II. It doesn't upsweep as much and he still has the stock shocks. He'll definitely be pulling the right muffler or disconnecting his shocks to get that rear axle out .....

JoesMuffs2.jpg

With your type of swingarm, it looks like you're right - don't need to pull the axle bolt out completely to free the wheel for removal. Later "closed end" swing arms require the axle bolt be removed.

Yabut..... to do that you have to split the chain. Not so easy if you have a staked master link. Mr obvious sez; I suppose that is the reason for the removable rear swingarm section, to remove the wheel without having to pull the exhaust, also a big deal if you still have a crossover.

RG, See attached photos of my 77D. Note that the ends of the swing arm are open but blocked by an insert. If the insert bolt and insert are removed, along with the brake actuator rod, brake stay, and chain, the whole axle assembly, wheel, etc. can be withdrawn to the rear without removing exhaust. (I think, haven't actually done it)

roy

That's a good point Roy. I knew the insert were there, but never thought about using it to remove the rear wheel. My 78SE has the inserts, but I don't need to use them, as my Special exhausts are just short enough to allow removal of the rear axle.

Yes, the kick up makes it easy on your bike, 5twins.

So, I guess if your exhaust blocks the axle, and you have a flat rear tire out on the road, there would be some wrenching required to get the back wheel off.

I was curious if anyone had actual experience with a flat rear tire (out on the road), and how difficult it was to repair.

The main reason I went with the exhaust I got is so it would be easy to remove the rear wheel . I have owned other bikes where I had to remove the exhaust ( Honda cb750 K with 4 into 4 being the worst ) and I have had to do enough repairs at the side of the road to see where the stock exhaust would be a major pain. All of the modifications on my bike have been done to make it more reliable and easier to service. I would probably switch rims to accommodate a tube-less tire if I was going to use my bike for commuting .

Back