Michigan:
At least two brakes, one on front wheel, one on rear wheel;
may be hand- or foot-operated. Capable of stopping in 30
feet from 20 mph if brakes on all wheels; 40 feet from
20 mph if brakes are not on all wheels.

Mississippi:
MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972
SEC. 63-7-51. General vehicle brake equipment requirements
(2) Every motorcycle, and bicycle with motor attached, when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with at least one brake, which may be operated by hand or foot.

Missouri:
Could only find info on bicycles????

Montana:
61-9-312. Performance ability of brakes. On a dry, hard, approximately level stretch of highway free from loose material, a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles, upon application of the service brake, must be capable of stopping at a speed of 20 miles an hour within the following distances:
(5) 30 feet for motorcycles, quadricycles, and motor-driven cycles.

Nebraska:
60-6,244. Motor vehicles; brakes; requirements.
(1) Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and to hold such vehicle, including two separate means of applying the brakes, each of which means shall be effective to apply the brakes to at least two wheels and so constructed that no part which is liable to failure shall be common to the two, except that a motorcycle shall be required to be equipped with only one brake.

Nevada:
NRS 486.301 Brakes. Every motorcycle or moped shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the stopping and holding as prescribed in NRS 484D.250 and 484D.255.
All motorcycles and mopeds............................. 43.5% 14 30

New Hampshire:
TITLE XXI
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 266
EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES
Brakes
Section 266:27
266:27 Brakes Required. – Every motor vehicle driven upon the ways of this state shall be provided with adequate brakes in good working order and sufficient to control such vehicle at all times.

New Jersey:
New Jersey Statutes 39:3-67 Brake equipment required
Every motorcycle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with at least one brake adequate to control the movement of and to stop such

New York:
§ 375. Equipment. 1. (a) Every motor vehicle, operated or driven upon
the public highways of the state, shall be provided with adequate brakes
and steering mechanism in good working order and sufficient to control
such vehicle at all times when the same is in use

New Mexico:
(2) every motorcycle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with at least two brakes that may be operated by hand or foot;

North Carolina:
§ 20‑124. Brakes.
(d) Every motorcycle and every motor‑driven cycle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with at least one brake which may be operated by hand or foot.

North Dakota:
39-21-34. Brakes on motor-driven cycles.
Repealed by S.L. 1979, ch. 431, § 37

Ohio:
2011 Ohio Revised Code
Title [45] XLV MOTOR VEHICLES - AERONAUTICS - WATERCRAFT
Chapter 4513: TRAFFIC LAWS - EQUIPMENT; LOADS
4513.20 Brake equipment for vehicles.
(2) Every motorcycle, when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with at least one adequate brake, which may be operated by hand or by foot.

Oklahoma:
Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 47. Motor Vehicles
Chapter 12 - Equipment of Vehicles
Article Article 3 - Brakes
Section 12-301 - Brake Equipment Required
A. Every motor vehicle manufactured prior to September 1, 1961, when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold such vehicle, including two separate means of applying the brakes, each of which means shall be effective to apply the brakes to at least two wheels. If these two separate means of applying the brakes are connected in any way they shall be so constructed that failure of any one part of the operating mechanism shall not leave the motor vehicle without brakes on at least two wheels.
B. 1. Every motor vehicle manufactured on or after September 1, 1961, operated upon the highways shall be equipped with service brakes upon all wheels.

Oregon:
At least one brake is required for motorcycles in Oregon. This brake may operate with a hand grip or a foot pedal. The brakes must be able to stop a motorcycle traveling 20 miles per hour in a distance of 25 feet or less. [ORS 815.125]

Pennsylvania:
(a) and required brake on front and rear wheels of motorcycle designated as 1974 or later model under Subsec. (b)

Rhode Island:
2010 Rhode Island Code
Title 31 Motor and Other vehicles
CHAPTER 31-23 Equipment and Accessories Generally
§ 31-23-4 Brake equipment required.
(b) Every motorcycle, and motor-driven cycle, when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with at least one brake, which may be operated by hand or foot, and which is adequate to control and stop the vehicle.

South Carolina:
No info found

South Dakota:
32-18-6. Motorcycles exempt from all-wheel requirement. The wheel of a sidecar attached to a motorcycle or to a motor-driven cycle, or the front wheel of a motor-driven cycle need not be equipped with brakes

Tennessee:
55-9-204. Brakes -- Equipment required on various type vehicles -- Penalty.
(b) Every motorcycle, and bicycle with motor attached, when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with at least one (1) brake, which may be operated by hand or foot.

Texas:
TEX TN. CODE ANN. § 547.403 : Texas Statutes - Section 547.403: SERVICE BRAKES REQUIRED
(2) are adequate to control the movement of the vehicle

Utah:
2010 Utah Code
Title 41 - Motor Vehicles
Chapter 06a - Traffic Code
41-6a-1506 - Motorcycles -- Required equipment -- Brakes.
(f) a braking system

Vermont:
No info found

Virginia:
§ 46.2-1069. Brakes on motorcycles.
Every motorcycle manufactured after July 1, 1974, and driven on a highway in the Commonwealth shall be equipped with either a split-service brake system or two independently actuated brake systems which shall act on the front as well as the rear wheel or wheels.

Washington:
3) Brakes on all wheels. Every vehicle shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels

West Virginia:
2) Every motorcycle, motor-driven cycle and moped, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with at least one brake which may be operated by hand or foot.

Wisconsin:
347.35  Brakes
(2) Mopeds and motorcycles. No person may operate a moped or motorcycle upon a highway unless the moped or motorcycle is equipped with at least one brake capable of meeting the performance specifications set forth in s. 347.36. The brake may be designed to be operated either by hand or by foot.

Wyoming:
WY Stat § 31-5-950 (1997 through Reg Sess)
(a) Every motor vehicle and every combination of vehicles shall have a service braking system which will stop the vehicle or combination within forty (40) feet from an initial speed of twenty (20) miles per hour on a level, dry, smooth, hard surface or within such shorter distance as may be specified by the superintendent.

So now I know what states not to ride my XS in!

338348.gif

I am not a lawyer so ride your hardcore no front brake chopper at your own risk and don't sue me cause I got a state wrong and you got a ticket.

You must have both brakes in Delaware. I've taken 6 bikes through inspection, which has to be done no matter when the thing was built. Then you can get a historic tag for a bike that is original conditon (not modified from factory appearance), but it has to go through first. They check both brakes and that they both operate the stop light.

My email from the head guy:

Thank you for your questions, I’ll try to answer as much as possible as we do not list every detail for motorcycles or any other vehicle for that matter. The state of Delaware follows title 21 of criminal and traffic law and also title 49 of the Federal code. There is also of course an inspection manual for our employees to use as a guide.

Fenders- both front & rear
Headlight – High & Low beams not mounted above 54” nor lower than 24”
Tail lamp – emit red light to 500 feet, not mounted above 72” nor lower than 20”
Brakes- both front & rear
Stop lamp – visible from 100 ft in normal sunlight, must be activated by front and rear brakes if manufactured after Jan. 1, 1969 and must have 8 sq inches of lighted lense.
Plate light – white light covered to not show to the rear
Reflectors – prior 1976 one red to the rear, 1977 and newer are required to have 5, two amber on front sides, two red on rear sides and one red to the rear, must be a minimum of 4 sq inches of reflective area
Turn signals – required on all since 1974 with a minimum of 3.5 sq inches of luminous lense
Horn – audible to 200 feet under normal conditions, button on handle bars as close to handgrip as practical
Mirror – at least one, so placed to ascertain the presence of vehicles approaching
Muffler – baffled (currently sound testing is under a moratorium)
Tires – must have a minimum of 2/32” of tread
Footrest or pegs – two
Chain or belt – must be tight and covered
Speedometer
Plate - not mounted below 12” from the ground and horizontal, must not be in front of rear axle

Christopher K. Cox
Vehicle Services Manager
Division of Motor Vehicles

I'm just going off of what the individual state motor vehicle codes say.

Title 21 chapter 43
§ 4303. Brakes -- General requirements.

(a) Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and to hold such vehicle and any trailer or semitrailer attached thereto including 2 separate means of applying the brakes, each of which means shall be effective to apply the brakes to at least 2 wheels and shall be so constructed that no part which is liable to failure shall be common to the two. A motorcycle need be equipped with only 1 brake. All brakes shall be maintained in good working order and shall conform to regulations, not inconsistent with this subchapter, to be promulgated by the Secretary. All brakes shall be so adjusted as to operate as equally as practicable with respect to the wheels on opposite sides of the vehicle.

http://delcode.delaware.gov/title21/c043/sc01/index.shtml\

What the law says and how it is enforced is another matter!

30 plus years ago I once owned a bike with a spool front wheel. Key word, "once."

Learn to love your front brake and learn to use it. If you ride long enough you'll come to understand.

I'm just going off of what the individual state motor vehicle codes say.

Title 21 chapter 43
§ 4303. Brakes -- General requirements.

(a) Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and to hold such vehicle and any trailer or semitrailer attached thereto including 2 separate means of applying the brakes, each of which means shall be effective to apply the brakes to at least 2 wheels and shall be so constructed that no part which is liable to failure shall be common to the two. A motorcycle need be equipped with only 1 brake. All brakes shall be maintained in good working order and shall conform to regulations, not inconsistent with this subchapter, to be promulgated by the Secretary. All brakes shall be so adjusted as to operate as equally as practicable with respect to the wheels on opposite sides of the vehicle.

http://delcode.delaware.gov/title21/c043/sc01/index.shtml\

What the law says and how it is enforced is another matter!

You missed the important part: "thereto including 2 separate means of applying the brakes, each of which means shall be effective to apply the brakes to at least 2 wheels "

One brake control but brakes on 2 wheels required.

Strike that last line.

Last edited:
I asked them when I went through and I was told that it is also up to the inspectors discretion to make that decision. And that if it came with them from the factory, it needs to have them. Basically anything built after 1969 has to have both brakes or it will fail, is what he told me.
Of course in my state if you have out of state plates, you might as well pull over, lol.
If you don't have a DOT approved helmet on the bike, it's parked until you get one.
Plus if you get a ticket, no matter where you live, you have to appear in court. Under 18, bring a parent.

Wow, I didn't realize how many strangers out there really seem to care if I live or die! I guess I should have given a little of my history with bikes. I started riding my cousin's Honda 70 when I was 12. Then I had a couple of buddies bikes I rode. One was a 175 Bridgestone and the other a Honda 70, 4 speed with a clutch. I bought a new 1976 Honda 750 when I was 20 and rode it for 7 years. I laid it down once (a truck had spilled some soybeans on a curve and it was like driving across ball bearings) and it put me in the hospital with a concussion. I'm glad I had my helmet on. I always wear one. I had a YZ-125 Yamaha trail bike that was a lot of fun. I now own a '88 1200 Sportster, a 2006 V-Star, and a '79 XS650 that I have stripped down to the frame and am getting ready to bob. I'm 56 years old and I just liked the cleaner look of not running the disc brake on the front wheel. I do have a disc on the back, ( didn't want to take a chance running no brakes).ha Anywho, thanks for all the comments, I love this website.:thumbsup:

I think the thing with me is not your abilties I'm questioning, it's the other idiots on the roads. I ride everyday, it's my method of transport, unless it's really bad out. And everyday I see some turd not paying attention and pulling out without looking, no signals, cutting across lanes, ect.
I scare myself at least 3 times a week with the clowns on the roads.

People can do what ever they want. I have no problem with it. Just my view on safety.
As long as my tax dollars are not going to pay for some uninsured mush brains stay in shock trama, people can ride however they want.

I hope you are a non smoker, non drinker, who is not overweight, because I don't want my tax dollars paying for your unhealthy lifestyle.:laugh:

I could probably teach you a thing or two about riding a motorcycle. Besides they didn't even have safety courses when I started riding.

MSF offers advanced courses for experienced riders also. We might be surprised what we don't know.

talk about a hijacked thread..... lol

the question was if spacers would be required when removing the front disc... the simple answer is NO SPACERS NEEDED.

funny how opinions override facts so easily around here... thats why my "no-front brake" threads included the " I KNOW, BUT IT'S MY A$$" disclaimer.

MSF offers advanced courses for experienced riders also. We might be surprised what we don't know.

After 10 years of accident free driving I thought myself a great truck-driver until I went to skid school, rollover school, blowout school (Met Benny Parsons at blow out school) Smith System Defensive Driving School and became a driving instructor and NC. Class A DMV examiner. It was then I learned how much I didn't know.

And now, after having ridden motorcycles on the streets since 1974, I would love to attend MSF advanced safety classes and spend some time in classes at VIR: http://virnow.com/

http://www.cornerspeed.net/main.html

There's always something you don't know.

Well ron I'am 66 sonney boy your never too old to learn.Most self taught riders think they know it all. You probably have a family maybe have grand kids. Not that I haven't rode a bike with no front brake or spent time in hospital behind motorcycle accidents. You could probably Pick up a few pointers ride safe. Live and learn :thumbsup:

I took the advanced course. It is a worth while experience. I highly recommend it. We used our own bikes and it was a little drizzly. I think it enlightened many riders of their abilities. It was fun too.

Back