fyi on prostate exam

FLEA

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
been avoiding these exams for yrs as dont think the local quack and i are on that friendly a relationship , turns out can now be done with a blood test , just thought would pass it on in case others have been avoiding the test as well not knowing

When I was in my 30’s my father was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Having a family member with prostate cancer puts you in a higher risk category, so it was recommended that at age 40, for me, I get a urologist and begin annual exams and blood work. The digital exams sucked, no doubt about it, I hated it every time. My blood tests , the PSA was no big deal and my PSA score was always next to nothing……..until it wasn’t. At age 48 my PSA number spiked, it was a relatively low number but the sudden spike raised a red flag with my doctor. He recommended a biopsy to check. I was not thrilled at the prospect, I mean I had no symptoms, no trouble urinating, nothing that would indicate to me that there was a problem. To tell you the truth, I was pissed at my doctor for putting me through this for nothing.

The biopsy was un nerving but not really painful and didn’t take long. He took 8 samples, which surprised me and he said to come back in a week for the results. My wife and I went together, he told me that 4 of the samples tested positive with a fairly aggressive cancer. He recommended a prostatectomy, he told me I could take my time and think about it. I was young enough that I felt I had a lot of years in front of me and I wanted my best chance for living cancer free. I had the surgery done 4 weeks later. That was 17 years ago.

Everyone has to decide what’s right for them. I honestly believe that had I not found it when I did, I might never lived long enough to see my retirement. My only brother died of cancer just 7 months before I was diagnosed. That sure as hell made me take it seriously.

I've had the digital many times. Doc said unless symptoms change (difficulty urinating) there's no advantage to doing it annually.

Also have a full blood panel done annually to check various things since I'm on BP meds and a statin for my cholesterol.

Speaking of anal invasions, I'm due for a colonoscopy this year too. Whee...

The ones I've had certainly didn't.
Urologists work with what they have and they do save lives. It’s far better than doing absolutely nothing and just hoping you don’t die from prostate cancer.
BTW, they also have a new DNA test. Also unpleasant, but every tool at their disposal helps.

I've had the digital many times. Doc said unless symptoms change (difficulty urinating) there's no advantage to doing it annually.

Also have a full blood panel done annually to check various things since I'm on BP meds and a statin for my cholesterol.

Last time I had one done they didn't knock me completely out just gave me something so I was more like a drunken sailor
I watched the whole procedure on the television screen
Towards the end of the procedure he asked how I was doing and I told him to pull it back a little cause I was getting a shitty taste in my mouth The doctor had a good sense of humor and his assistant let out a bit of a chuckle
During the procedure they kept puting air in to expand the intestines so I had a fart fest for a while after

Yup, me too. First time I was out like a light. Second time I was just mellow.

Mellow was not painful but certainly uncomfortable. Good news is, I could go home immediately and fart in the car. No recovery room or designated driver needed.

This is getting close to TMI, especially for a sickelmoder forum...:yikes::laugh:

This is getting close to TMI, especially for a sickelmoder forum...:yikes::laugh:
It's certainly going to scare the younger folks, few that they are. I just lost one of my high school buddies. He didn't get the colon probe at 50. Now he's dead from colon cancer. I intend to see my grandchildren grow up. Some of them aren't born yet. I'm living my life, but I'm not taking stupid chances. I have urologist and dermatologist every six months and an accelerated schedule with the gastroenterologist. I don't leave it all up to them, either. I've taken charge of my own health.

I just had mine done a couple weeks ago, nine friggin polyps found! They were nothing serious, but because there were so many, I now have to go back every three years! :doh: And yeah about the anesthesias, this last time was a very different deal. Usually they put me under deep. This time , while I wasn’t conscious, it was very light.
I woke up immediately clear headed with no hanging around to recover. They basically told me get dressed and get outa here. I went home and had lunch.

Last edited:
I just had mine done a couple weeks ago, nine friggin polyps found! They were nothing serious, but because there were so many, I now have to get them every three years! :doh: And yeah about the anesthesias, this last time was a very different deal. Usually they put me under deep. This time , while I wasn’t conscious, it was very light.
I woke up immediately clear headed with no hanging around to recover. They basically told me get dressed and get outa here. I went home and had lunch.
You beat me (only) 3....

Prostate cancer is a very slow grower. 30% or more of us will get it. Very few of us will die of it, some other cause will kill us. Friend got the diagnosis 4 or 5 years ago. He did not like the odds of surgical caused incontinence or impotence, he is no just 58 or 60 and actively dating. He did HIS research with a vengence and choose a vegan diet. He still has cocktails (often) . and smokes occassionally. His tumor has not grown since changing his diet. Note, A. this is not a scientific study. B. his vegan diet has resulted in 20-30 lb weight loss which may be a factor.
Good Health to all of you.

I had the "exam" for the first time a couple of years ago. I did not mind it. The stuff I drank the day before did not taste all that bad. I drank chicken broth so I did not feel at all hungry. I was knocked out so there was no discomfort. When I woke up the nurses cheered me on when I farted.
Best part was when my girlfriend picked me up I could look her in the eye and honestly say "I am not full of shit".
I did have 3 polyps all were negative. I think I am due again this year.

I found out I am 3 yrs overdue! I'm schedualed in May. I put it down as something I have to do at this stage in my life. There are many folks born the same year as I was that are not here due to their own doing or for not doing things they should have and due to things beyond their control. I'm going to try to do things to keep my quality of life good . I have a very sweet 20, 21 yr old dog that has stopped eating. We've had her 16 of those years. It brought awarness of my finnallity and how close death could be to me.
Little Mitzi passed away this morning. Vickie and I miss her. She had medical problems and her age didn't help.

Last edited:
1644988559038.png

Back