Garage lights question

Exploding Coffin Emporium

Day tight compartments
Reaction score
Well fall and the forthcoming winter is starting in Chicago, which means wrenching time. I'm looking to spend every second I can in the detached (small oil heated)garage and was wondering what some of my fellow cold weather xs builders use for lighting. Currently I have 5 T-12 double tube fixtures, which works great for the summer, not so awesome in the winter, the time from light switch flicked to lighted is dismal at best. I was looking at doing a full T-8 swap, but not sure if that's the best option. Any ideas, or advice?

After replacing a ballast ($$$) in the shop lights I have been looking at other ideas.

I had the same problem in the winter and I switched to LED's last fall and they are brighter and work great. I bought my lights at lowe's but the lights in that youtube video look like a better deal. I recently painted most of the bare drywall on the walls and ceiling in my garage with some left over gloss white paint and it helped reflect the light so I plan to paint everything with two coats soon.

Yeah I might just do the LED. I looked into doing a ballast conversion from fluorescent to LED as my fixtures are nice and in great shape, and although within my ability, seems likes quite a substantial amount of time and energy to save a few bucks.

I used these self-adhesives LEDs in my tail light to make a more energy efficient parking light. In my garage I have dull fluorescent tubes and use a small LED torch for working. I bet I could set up a couple of mobile panels with these LEDS and never have to hold a torch again!

Thanks for giving me these new ideas!

Sucks about the cold ultimately, when in the spray booth I've found a combo T12/T8 to work the best, tried LED for a bit on my lowers but the spectrum isn't neutral enough for me and it tends to not catch body lines as well, but it's in the shop, so the temp is not an issue like my garage.

Two lamp, T8's with full spectrum lamps. F32T8/TL850/plus are are great. The full spectrum is closest to natural light, and it helps keep the winter blues away.

I know it sounds archaic, but what about, say, half a dozen 'brooding lamp' fixtures with incandescent (or halogen) bulbs? Sure, they use more juice, but they're plenty bright, they'll heat the shop, and you don't have to wait for them to reach full light.

Not archaic. The amount of money i spend ......those chickens should crapping gold. But a dozen eggs a week is close enuf.
Lights....
I have 2/4 lamp t8's. Not enuf. My pops has another pair of 4tubes stashed in his garage rafters unused, just have to go get them.
16 t8's plus the 2/2 over my work bench and waher and dryer should be enf to give me x-ray vision

My 22' x 22' garage has three 4' twin tube fluorescent lights in the ceiling and the ceiling and walls are painted white.
That's enough light for general work.
For painting and detail work I have two portable 500Watt quartz-halogen lights to plug in.
Because they are power hogs and their bulbs have a limited life I only use them when I have to.

Mostly CFLs in regular sockets. Several 4' 2 bulb over work benches. Just got my first Warm white LED spot in the kitchen. Nice light! @$7 a pop straight from china they are getting there. Why has all lighting gotten dimmer anymore?

...Why has all lighting gotten dimmer anymore?

Why has fine print gotten finer?

I take this stuff.
Your time may be coming...
EyeAntioxidant .jpg

Back